Question second hand graphics card works, shows black screen.

Jun 17, 2021
hi. three days ago i built my very first pc. all parts are new and functioning, the graphics card (msi 1070 ti) bought secondhand.

when i turned the pc on i got a "no signal" so i suspected that the card, even though the lights were burning and the fans were spinning, was broken.

after troubleshooting for hours that day we get an older grapics card (1050 ti) and we put that in the 1070s place. computer worked like a charm. installed windows, nvidea geforce experience, all that jazz.

so, we do it vice versa with the pc that belongs to my lil bro. turns out that the 1070 ti is in fact not broken. it just worked, he booted up battlefield in the highest settings, no problem.

so my guess is that this is a driver related issue.

things i tried:

switching power cables
BIOS updates for the b550 aorus elite v2 motherboard
downloading the latest 1070 ti driver using the other graphics card
uninstalling the automaticcaly updated driver that was meant for the other graphics card
booting the pc into safe mode
trying to run the pc with both graphic cards, hoping to be able to acces the 1070 this way. the only thing it did was concvincing my pc that i suddenly did not have a 1 tb ssd with windows installed.

i'm at day 3, i'm tired, desperate, and i keep having recurring thoughts of throwing a certain pc off off a three story building. please help.

my specs are:

B550 aorus elite v2 motherboard
1 terrabyte kingston a2000 ssd
msi aero 1070 ti
32 gigs of ram
corsair 750 watt psu
and a amd ryzen 5600x processor

Last edited:
hi. three days ago i built my very first pc. all parts are new and functioning, the graphics card (msi 1070 ti) bought secondhand.

when i turned the pc on i got a "no signal" so i suspected that the card, even though the lights were burning and the fans were spinning, was broken.

after troubleshooting for hours that day we get an older grapics card (1050 ti) and we put that in the 1070s place. compured worked like a charm. installed windows, nvidea geforce experience, all that jazz.

so, we do it vice versa with the pc that belongs to my lil bro. turns out that the 1070 ti is in fact not broken. it just worked, he booted up battlefield in the highest settings, no problem.

so my guess is that this is a driver related issue.

things i tried:

switching power cables
BIOS updates for the b550 aorus elite v2 motherboard
downloading the latest 1070 ti driver using the other graphics card
uninstalling the automaticcaly updated driver that was meant for the other graphics card
booting the pc into safe mode
trying to run the pc with both graphic cards, hoping to be able to acces the 1070 this way. the only thing it did was concvincing my pc that i suddenly did not have a 1 tb ssd with windows installed.

i'm at day 3, i'm tired, desperate, and i keep having recurring thoughts of throwing a certain pc off off a three story building. please help.

Chances are your power supply is inadequate or your PCIe cables were not properly seated. But try a DDU first (Device driver uninstall)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put the gpu on the 2nd slot temporarily. It's not uncommon for Ryzens to have cpu-bios issues with pcie lane assignment and unrecognized gpu. The second slot bypasses all that since it uses chipset not cpu lanes. Should get the gpu id recognised, after which you should then be able to boot. Also while in bios, take gpu pcie off Auto and set it for Gen3. That can also be an issue.