[SOLVED] Second hand Lenovo U430p

Jul 5, 2021
I bought it off a mate, said the screen had some flickering when playing LoL and decided to sell it cheap.
I love the metal casing body..
Now I opened it and cleaned the fan, exhaust area and seems like I've unfortunately ran into the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400.
Sound doesnt come out of the speakers too either. Tried youtube solutions on the drivers and other posibilities but nothing happens... Sound CAN be heard if i plug in headphones via jack (sounds quite crackly) and bluetooth (sounds perfect). Maybe they're disconnected?

Now what are my options to upgrade parts on it that would fit and actually work (in terms of processors, graphic options if any, SSD upgrade from the HDD disk drive it came with ? Speaker solution.. I'm planning on taking it in to a shop and having it looked at.

Please tom'sHardware community, would appreciate your help!

oh and I tried the HDD to a SSD which the male part of the connector actually fits into a spare SSD i have here at home.. Any advice on how making that work?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard, so that's not possible for an upgrade. You could source a motherboard for the laptop with a discrete GPU on it but then you might run into ports conflicting with the chassis on your current laptop. If your laptop doesn't have an M.2 SSD on it, you can look through this thread. Might want to take a ruler and measure the distance from the M.2 slot to the screw mount in the middle, should be 2242 or 2260.

Also, did you try making sure that the laptop's motherboard is on the latest BIOS version? What OS are you working with?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard, so that's not possible for an upgrade. You could source a motherboard for the laptop with a discrete GPU on it but then you might run into ports conflicting with the chassis on your current laptop. If your laptop doesn't have an M.2 SSD on it, you can look through this thread. Might want to take a ruler and measure the distance from the M.2 slot to the screw mount in the middle, should be 2242 or 2260.

Also, did you try making sure that the laptop's motherboard is on the latest BIOS version? What OS are you working with?

Solution