Question Second hand Vega 56 and 600w PSU

silentmelodies

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
I'm looking for a slight upgrade from my current 1060 6GB Zotac. My current setup besides the 1060 is a R5 1600+16gb+256 sata ssd+2tb HDD, and the PSU is a Super Flower Silver Green 600w. (https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=69&lang=en)

So far I'm having no stability problems and the PSU is running fine and cool. I don't and not planning to overclock (undervolting the 56 maybe). Would I be pushing my luck with a Vega 56?

Deals for the 56 and the exact models (used) are as follows:
  • Reference AMD 56 with Samsung memory: ex mining 3 months, buyer claims safe temps. 236 USD
  • Gigabyte 56 (no exact type): ex gaming. 236 USD
  • Saphire 56 (not pulse): ex gaming. 264 USD
  • Power Color 56: ex mine+gaming. Apex Legend peak 72c, CS:GO 70. 222 USD

The Power Color looks super tempting but its technically 3rd hand. Which one should I go for or should I just get a new 1660ti for 300 USD and not risk burning my house?

Thanks!

Why get the VEGA 56 at this time of year, since AMD's new NAVI mainstream GPUs are going to land soon enough, just around the corner ? The GTX 1660 Ti sounds like a much better option though. Very power efficient card as well.

I don't recommend buying second/third hand GPUs. Get a new Model, at least you will have some peace of mind.

silentmelodies

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Why get the VEGA 56 at this time of year, since AMD's new NAVI mainstream GPUs are going to land soon enough, just around the corner ? The GTX 1660 Ti sounds like a much better option though. Very power efficient card as well.

I don't recommend buying second/third hand GPUs. Get a new Model, at least you will have some peace of mind.
You have a point. The navi cards were just officially announced Yesterday, though not coming until July. My budget is 200-300 USD tops, do you recommend just getting the 1660ti or wait for the Navi cards? :)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I'm not sure about that though. If you are NOT in a hurry, and you are currently happy with the GTX 1060's performance, then waiting for NAVI GPUs would be a wise decision, IMO. Though, I'm still skeptical about NAVI's actual performance.

Only after looking at the benchmarks, we can come to any conclusion. If you don't want to wait, then grab the GTX 1660 Ti, or some other powerful GPU instead, like the RTX 2060. Just my thoughts.

silentmelodies

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
BTW, are you gaming on a 1080p resolution screen, or some other. I Forgot to ask this before.
I'm actually running multiple monitors, but gaming strictly on a single 144 1080p monitor. Honestly the 1060 is fine for most games (I mostly play esport titles, all settings to low). I just thought a little upgrade would be nice so I can turn all settings max on single player games. I'm selling my 1060 so I'm actually upgrading for lesser than the actual card price.

The 2060 still goes for around 400 where I live and it's too much for the 'slight upgrade' I was going for. Honestly if the Navis are just as good as they claim, I'd be fine for waiting for the 2060 competitor and upgrade Q3/Q4.