Second hard drive pegged at 100%, current task (downloading/moving the file etc) freezing

DFL

Honorable
Mar 18, 2014
Wasn't really sure how exactly to describe it in the thread name, but basically what's going on is if I try to download something, move any affected file(s), try to extract from an affected file, etc. my second drive will hit 100% usage instantaneously, stay at 100% usage, and I can't cancel the task that it was performing nor will it recover from this failure. I'm assuming that the files are getting corrupted somehow, but I'm not sure. So if I refer to a file etc as being corrupted, this is just an assumption for the sake of explanation.

The only way to bring it back to normal operation is to restart the computer. Say for example that Steam starts to update something, and that update decides to get corrupted, Steam will freeze entirely, I can't close it, I can't force close it via Task manager, and there's no way to bypass this either through Task manager, Service manager, Resource Monitor, etc. My only chance is to restart the computer, open Steam, and quickly get to the Downloads section to cancel downloads and set them to not auto-update until I've gone and deleted the current update data and find any bad files in the main install and get that fixed, or just reinstall the game entirely. The same thing happens when trying to extract a zip that's been "corrupted" downloading through Google Chrome. explorer will become unresponsive and even if I end it and re-run it via run new task from task manager, that frozen file explorer will stubbornly remain there with my D drive pegged at 100% until I restart the computer.

I've considered bad sectors so I downloaded Seatools (It's a Seagate barracuda 1TB drive) to check drive health and run a basic scan, but nothing is tripping a fail via Seatools. I haven't yet run a chkdsk or used any other drive diagnostic software, though. Any ideas? Or should I just go ahead with a chkdsk or use another diagnostic program to try and figure it out? This doesn't happen every single time I download anything, though, it's occasional. Started happening about a month or two ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you advance!

Edit: Just loaded up Crystaldisk and checked my D drive, currently it's showing 1,168 reallocated sectors, 640 pending sectors, and 1,480 uncorrectable sectors. So it's looking like this drive is possibly on it's way out.

TRENDING THREADS