Second Harddrive Help

Alan

I'm trying to put a Western Digital 60G hard drive into my old
dimension 8200. It currently has a WD 80G as primary master. I
installed the 60G as primary slave. Both drives have the cable select
setting. The problem is that the 60G HD only shows up 8G as its
capacity. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Thanks

Use XP Disk Management to delete the partition(s), recreate the partition(s)
and format the drive.

"alan" <rong.sang@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to put a Western Digital 60G hard drive into my old
> dimension 8200. It currently has a WD 80G as primary master. I
> installed the 60G as primary slave. Both drives have the cable select
> setting. The problem is that the 60G HD only shows up 8G as its
> capacity. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
>
> Thanks

Alan

Thanks for reply. I have Windows 2000 SP4 installed. I tried Disk
Manager but it didn't work. I pulled out the old drive and only put in
the 60G drive. BIOS still couldn't recognize its full capacity,
reporting only 4G. I gave up on it. Maybe it's just broken.

Alan

I checked jumper setting. I used the Cable Select mode. The model is WD
Caviar WD600BB.

I also tried Partition Magic. First PM found there was an error of
partition on that disk, but after it corrected the error, the disk
reported over 2000GB as its capacity. I wish it was true though.

"alan" <rong.sang@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to put a Western Digital 60G hard drive into my old
> dimension 8200. It currently has a WD 80G as primary master. I
> installed the 60G as primary slave. Both drives have the cable select
> setting. The problem is that the 60G HD only shows up 8G as its
> capacity. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

There are jumper settings on some hard drives that limit the capacity it
reports to the BIOS in order to overcome limitations of older operating
systems. Might be worth double checking the jumper settings to make sure the
drive isn't in this mode.

What exact model of WD disk is it anyway?

I can't explain why, but if you install Partition Magic on the HD (doesn't
work from the floppies in this situation) you can often see and partition
the whole HD, even the part not seen in the BIOS.

Brian

"alan" <rong.sang@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to put a Western Digital 60G hard drive into my old
> dimension 8200. It currently has a WD 80G as primary master. I
> installed the 60G as primary slave. Both drives have the cable select
> setting. The problem is that the 60G HD only shows up 8G as its
> capacity. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
>
> Thanks

Let me suggest this one, assuming that the cables and jumpers are A-OK.

Go to the WD web site and download the lastest hard drive diagnostic software.
Run both the basic and the extended test on the WD600BB. If it passes both of
these tests without any errors, then run the test to zero out the hard drive.
You can interrupt the test after maybe 10 or 15 seconds though, because all you
really need to do is wipe out the partition table which seems to have confused
Partition Magic and probably Windows. With a zeroed-out partition table, any
software that creates partitions will treat it like a brand spanking new drive,
and you ought to be able to partition the proper 60GB successfully any way you
want... Ben Myers

On 16 Dec 2004 18:23:36 -0800, "alan" <rong.sang@gmail.com> wrote:

>I checked jumper setting. I used the Cable Select mode. The model is WD
>Caviar WD600BB.
>
>I also tried Partition Magic. First PM found there was an error of
>partition on that disk, but after it corrected the error, the disk
>reported over 2000GB as its capacity. I wish it was true though.

Or, delete all partitions with PM, then create and format your partitions.

Brian

>I checked jumper setting. I used the Cable Select mode. The model is WD
> Caviar WD600BB.
>
> I also tried Partition Magic. First PM found there was an error of
> partition on that disk, but after it corrected the error, the disk
> reported over 2000GB as its capacity. I wish it was true though.

Well, yes, but if Partition Magic is getting confused by what it sees, then it
may well do an equally confusing deletion and recreation of partitions. I'd
still rather opt for a down-and-dirty WD disk diagnostic to zero out the drive.
It has a 100% success rate without any fuss, muss, or bother.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:56:41 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Or, delete all partitions with PM, then create and format your partitions.
>
>Brian
>

>"alan" <rong.sang@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I checked jumper setting. I used the Cable Select mode. The model is WD
>> Caviar WD600BB.
>>
>> I also tried Partition Magic. First PM found there was an error of
>> partition on that disk, but after it corrected the error, the disk
>> reported over 2000GB as its capacity. I wish it was true though.

Please let us know the outcome Alan.

Brian