Second HDD Problem

BobbyTrenton

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I have two Raptor's raided on my mobo's Intel SATA RAID controller..
And my secondary HDD, an SATA Seagate 160GB on a Promise controller.
Everything was fine earlier today, then I decided to upgrade my Asus BIOS to 1017, ever since then if I have my Seagate drive plugged into the controller card my computer freezes during boot when the Windows Pro loading screen is supposed to come up.

If I boot with the controller card in the PCI slot, but no Seagate in, Windows loads fine.
I can't even boot from a floppy because it just sits there before it's supposed to load, even when I hit F8 for my mobo and select to boot from a disk or HDD it still freezes and won't do it.

The Seagate is fairly new, and I never had problems with it before.

Any help?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like the board is trying to boot off the Seagate, try changing boot order in BIOS.

I've had problems in the past with certain cards trying to force boot from connected drives, but not often when the drives haven't been made bootable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BobbyTrenton

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I've tried that, the Intel controller is set as my Primary HDD and is set to boot from it, I even tried disabling the Seagate in my BIOS and it still freezes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You said the Seagate is connected to a controller card, you're speaking of an add-in (PCI) card correct?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BobbyTrenton

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Yes, it's a Promise FastTrak controller.
I messed around with it more today, and am pretty sure its the BIOS on the controller card, because I hooked up an IDE drive to the controller card as well and it still froze up at the same spot.

So right now I formatted and UnRAIDed (DeRAIDed? :p) my two Raptors, and I'm running one Raptor with my Seagate as the second SATA Drive.

I tried updating the BIOS on the card, or even going down a version, but everytime I try in DOS it says, 'Flash Memory cannot be erased.' So I'm just cutting my losses and gonna buy a Mobo that has 4 SATA ports on it.

Unless you have a fix of course.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BobbyTrenton on 10/01/04 10:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would be really handy if you could somehow get around the card's BOOT BIOS. Some cards used to not have it, but I doubt you'll find any SATA cards without it.