Diabetic1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hey all, just fitted a second SATA drive into my machine, my first being a 160gb WD, and now I have added a 250gb Seagate.

Thing is, I need to get my second drive to be recognised. Its listed in my device manager, and also in this Administrative dialogue. What must I do to get the Seagate usable?

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3041/seagateseconddrivexp6.jpg

Cheers folks, as always, your help would (and will be) grand.

- the Diabetic Dude.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It's not a driver issue - it's seeing both drives, but there's no usable space in the second device - you have to create it...

I'm assuming you have XP pro.

Go into the Disk Management window (the one you showed us).
Right click in the unallocated space and create a partition(s) of whatever size(s) you want.
Enjoy your new disk space.

If you want, you can have Windows create a JBOD array in software. That will combine the partitions of your choice (as long as Windows sees them) into one giant partition.

There's no parity or performance increase, but it makes it easy to use all the space because the two drives are condensed into one drive letter - it will use all the available space on the first drive before going onto the second one.

Diabetic1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Excellent work matey. My second HDD is currently half way through formatting, and should be useable in a short while. W00t!

Thanks again sir, <3.