[SOLVED] Second Monitor Is In Power Savings Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2020
Hello everyone , I have a question regarding a (relatively) old Lenovo Thinkvision monitor that, when turned on, only says 'Power Savings Mode' and then goes to a black screen.

This monitor is a second monitor that I am adding to my setup, and the only cables that it can work with are DVI (which I am trying to use a DVI-I cable) and a VGA cable (which my PC does not support).

My original Acer monitor is currently connected to my GPU (GTX 1080) via a DVI cable, and the only other open slots for this second monitor are the display port cables (which the Lenovo monitor doesn't support), and the DVI slot on the motherboard (B450 Tomahawk). I am simply connecting the DVI - I cable from the Lenovo monitor to my GPU slot, but the monitor continues to go into Power mode, while my original Acer monitor continues to work completely fine.

When I try to detect another Monitor in the Windows 10 Display settings, it doesn't seem to detect anything. If any of you could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2020
does the lenovo monitor work on another pc?
Yes it does. My dad used it and another monitor with his old laptop as extra displays. He used one of those central laptop display things in which he would place his laptop on a platform and at the end of the platform it had several DVI slots and what not so he could expand his screen onto these displays. I believe the issue might be the fact that I have to use the DVI slot on my motherboard rather than my GPU? Which I don't know how to configure.

Jul 25, 2020
I am having the same problem. However, I have the following setup
laptop Thinkpad T480s
Monitor ThinkVision T25M-10

trying to use the monitor as a docking monitor since it has a USB-C port.
The monitor works fine using HDMI, when I changed the input source to USB-C and connected it to my laptop it started showing Power Saving mode and turned off.

Kept trying /searching for several hours to find a factory reset as I was locked out of my monitor (could not even connect using HDMI cable this time) till I managed to connect using my MacbookPro, and that must have automatically changed the setting into HDMI.

Now I do have to mention that I am not using the original USB-C cable. I am using one that is made by Amazon (i.e., Amazon Basics).
How can I make sure that I am using the right cable?
Is there any way to work around this cable type? The original cable can cost £50 !!.

Status
Not open for further replies.