Second monitor keeps "breaking"

Jul 26, 2018
I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter in order to install a second monitor for my computer.
It worked fine for a long time, but, a couple of weeks later, it started showing these weird static waves on the image. I checked to see if the monitor is the issue, but the new monitor did the same thing. I changed the VGA cable(the HDMI port on my pc has the HMDI-VGA adapter on it, then the VGA cable to the second monitor), and that fixed the issue.
Now, a couple of weeks after that, the monitor works alright for a few hours, then starts showing weird bright green pixels on it, that move around. I usually just press the on/off button, wait a bit, then turn it on again if I need the second monitor, but the hours it works correctly transformed into MINUTES.

PS: I cant remember TOO well, but the first run around, before changing the cable, the display showed these green pixels as well, then they transformed into the static waves.
Also, my second monitor is an oldish model.
Also, the cable I used for the monitor the first time around, the one I had to change, it makes any monitor show the weird waves now too.

I lost track of which monitor is which.

Does only one monitor show this issue on VGA? The monitor is dying.

Does it only happen over VGA but will happen with either monitor? Most likely an issue with the adapter or cable.

Is the HDMI-VGA adapter on a separate GPU? Could be a GPU problem.

Why use an HDMI to VGA adapter? Does one monitor only support VGA? HDMI to DVI would be better if an option.

Jul 26, 2018

I couldnt find other adapters, besides the HDMI-VGA, that were compatible with my pc and monitor(the store I was at had none besides it)

The monitors are old, so they only got a VGA slot.
I changed the VGA cable when the problem first started. That worked for a couple of weeks, but now the problem is unbearable(i should add that the monitor now shows those glitches immediately at startup)

I think, yea, the adapter might be the problem. I was thinking that it might be because of the fact that i use an hdmi slot to display on a old monitor, which was made before HDMI was a thing. And this ruins the cable.

Im sure I made things more confusing here, I might try to change the adapter, cause it is still under warranty(if that covers it), and will come back then.

Meanwhile, is it possible that the "hdmi to old vga" situation would destroy the VGA cable?(cause, last time this happened, i changed the VGA cable with a new and the image on the monitor was perfectly fine)