Question Second monitor not recognized by computer

Mar 30, 2019
It all started with the second display flickering. I thought it would help to change and only use the primary display and then change back, but I was never able to get the second display to work again. It's a Lenovo LT2323p that I first used with a DisplayPort cable, and later changed to a DisplayPort-hdmi adapter. I have tried to roll back, update, and reinstall my GPU (RX480) but it doesn't help. It isn't in the device manager either. And I know there is no problem with the display itself because it works when I connect it to my main displays DVI-cable.
What could be the problem?

Mar 30, 2019
Any other connections to the second monitor you have cables for?
Also half suspect the Displayport-HDMI adapter. If you could try another one to confirm either way it might help you identify the issue.
Okay, so my main display has a HDMI, VGA and a DVI. My second display has DP, VGA and DVI. So I tried switching like you suggested, HDMI to main (cutting out the adapter) and DVI to secondary. Now it only shows on secondary display. It’s like my video card can send signal through HDMI and DP, but when DVI is connected it can only send signal through that.

Almost sounds like using the DVI port disables one of the others. And it doesn't sound like you're exceeding the maximum resolution the graphics card can handle (assuming other monitor is also 1080p).

Have you got cables for the other ports? I would try an HDMI and Displayport combination to see if both monitors can work (bypassing the DVI completely).

Mar 30, 2019
Almost sounds like using the DVI port disables one of the others. And it doesn't sound like you're exceeding the maximum resolution the graphics card can handle (assuming other monitor is also 1080p).

Have you got cables for the other ports? I would try an HDMI and Displayport combination to see if both monitors can work (bypassing the DVI completely).
Unfortunately I don’t have an DP cable right know, but I will get one and try. Thank you!

Mar 30, 2019
Good luck.
Before I went to buy another cable, I tried connecting my brothers display instead of my secondary. It worked, so I don’t think the problem is with with the DVI disabling other ports. So I think I’m going to buy a dvi/vga to hdmi adapter and try. If it works I’ll know for sure that it’s the DP-port on the display causing the problem

Do you know what sort of DVI port you have on the graphics card? There are three types: DVI-I (carries digital and analogue), DVI-D (digital only) and DVI-A (analogue).

Depending on the precise combination of input and output ports it may require an active converter rather than just an adapter.

Mar 30, 2019
Do you know what sort of DVI port you have on the graphics card? There are three types: DVI-I (carries digital and analogue), DVI-D (digital only) and DVI-A (analogue).

Depending on the precise combination of input and output ports it may require an active converter rather than just an adapter.

I’m not 100% sure but I think it is DVI-D