Second Monitor Not Working

skeezin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Earlier today I picked up another monitor identical to the one I have now. I've tried everything but it just won't pick up.

My graphics card is a NIVIDIA GeForce GT 630. The monitors are Samsung SyncMaster SA350s.

Sorry if my post is pretty vague, I can provide any other specs you need to know. I wasn't sure what I had to provide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!

skeezin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

VGA cable I believe. It says VGA OUT on the back above where I put the blue cable in.

Entomber

Admirable
If I had to guess, you've plugged one of the monitors in to your graphics card, and another in to a different spot on your computer. In that case, they both will not work, you have to plug both of them directly into your graphics card. I don't believe that your graphics card has 2 VGA plugs; you need to either get an HDMI or DVI cable to plug in your monitor.

Looks like your monitor supports HDMI, so you should get one of those cables and it should work fine after that.

skeezin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Could you recommend me one of those cables?

I am based in the United Kingdom.

EDIT: Would this be good enough?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/tv-accessories/cables-accessories/essentials-hdmi-cable-1-m-07059787-pdt.html

Entomber

Admirable
All HDMI cables are fine.

Well, I shouldn't say all, but just go to your local electronics store and buy one - cheap is okay. Some of the cables you buy from the internet for dirt cheap are made in China and rather hard to trust.

The only consideration you need to have is whether or not it is long enough to reach from your monitor to your computer comfortably, I'd say leave a little bit of wiggle room so you have more flexibility with your setup.

-and yep, that cable you linked is fine.

skeezin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Just remembered I have an Xbox 360 HMDI cable lying around. I tried it and it worked. The only problem is the picture is noticeably different from one monitor to the other even though the settings are exactly the same.

Is there any way to achieve the same picture quality on both with a different cable? Am I somehow able to turn that HMDI into VGA?

skeezin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

On monitor 1 which is connected by VGA the screen isn't as bright but the colours are a lot more intense. Monitor 2 with the HMDI cable is noticeably more brighter overall but the colours aren't very bright.

The on screen settings for both monitors have been configured exactly the same.

TRENDING THREADS