[SOLVED] (Second) New Build for: Designer / Editing / Workstation

robobergz

Honorable
Aug 14, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $1500 + Monitor

Skill level - I have built machines in the past but nothing too complex. Willing to do the learning if required.

System Usage from Most to Least ( Windows 10 )
Graphic design ( Adobe products) - Photoshop - Illustrator - Lightroom +
Video Editing= After Effects, Premier,
I need to be able to have several designer graphic apps open at once, all with potentially larger files .

Considerations: I have plenty of drives, only would need a med sized SSD for OS. ( maybe 1 TB - unless reco is for more.) I also really don't care about the visual appeal of the case. Medium sized footprint.

Additional component: I want to backup all of my work onto another drive(s). Is there something external, small footprint that can auto backup all working files (specific folders)? What is the fastest connection? USB(x)? other? The files for video editing can get quite large.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes - would like a monitor in the 30+ range. ( in addition to budget above)

I have no components, starting fresh. Any and all help would be amazing.

Thank you - Robobergz

Last edited:
Solution
Hi!
For starters, I would consider getting an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x for a start. 16 cores, good for video editing. It’s a well balanced CPU. For RAM, I would get 64GB 3200Mhz

For the GPU, if you’re not gaming, grab a Quadro. I’m not good with workstation GPU’s, but I’m just giving you some information that might help you.

Here’s a rough list which you can feel free to change (note that it doesn’t have the GPU and PSU yet)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hHcDwh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($749.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($359.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill...
Jul 19, 2018
Hi!
For starters, I would consider getting an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x for a start. 16 cores, good for video editing. It’s a well balanced CPU. For RAM, I would get 64GB 3200Mhz

For the GPU, if you’re not gaming, grab a Quadro. I’m not good with workstation GPU’s, but I’m just giving you some information that might help you.

Here’s a rough list which you can feel free to change (note that it doesn’t have the GPU and PSU yet)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hHcDwh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($749.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($359.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($266.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1474.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-08 04:30 EST-0500

Last edited:
Solution