SECOND, pair of Corsair XMS Dominator bit the dust today

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Any one else have big problems with Corsair Dominators? They are rated 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 2T

The symptoms are random crashes, lockups usually in game or multitasking, burning ROMs and BSOD leading to reboots.

Memtest clearly indicates massive number of errors at all speeds both SPD and auto settings.

The pair of Patriot Extreme memory I bought to replace the first RMA'ed pair of Corsairs run at the same settings as the Corsair but I get no errors in memtest and no problems in windows.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Corsairs XMS2 Pro PC6400 run faster than the PC6400 dominatros,they also OC better. I am running 4Gbs of Pro in my 2nd machine with XP Pro 64bit. In this machine i am running 2Gbs PC8500 Dominators and i have never has a single problem.What did you have the voltage set at?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
800Mhz 4-4-4-12 2T

Even if it ran without errors those setting make me happy I never went to DDR2.
Can't they make DDR2 ram run at T1 and "good" settings without takeing a loan out on your home?

My G.Skill 4000HZ running @ DDR1-520 3.4.4.8 T1 and 43ns latency blows most DDR2-800 out of the water in Read/Write/Copy/Latency tests.

I know we have company reps here so perhaps they can give us an idea when they are going to start offering DDR2 that can at least compeat.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
What is your Vdimm? Does the memory test OK at 4,4,4,12, 2T, and at the rated 800mhz?

No it fails at all settings. I have tried auto everything which sets the mem to something like 5-5-5-16 but the errors are there also.

I bought these for the "performance" aspect and they simply are not as advertised? I can plug in the cheap Patriots in the mobo, not change any bios settings and run memtest and they pass with no errors.

I have tried 2.1v, 2.2v and 2.3v but nothing changes.

I wish I could get a refund at this point but its to late. I will have to keep dealing with RMAs and tech support I can't understand.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Corsairs XMS2 Pro PC6400 run faster than the PC6400 dominatros,they also OC better. I am running 4Gbs of Pro in my 2nd machine with XP Pro 64bit. In this machine i am running 2Gbs PC8500 Dominators and i have never has a single problem.What did you have the voltage set at?

I may have not typed it but these are XMS2 modules, the ones with the fancy cooling fins so I'm not sure whats going on.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
http://www.overclock.net/news-overclockers/172989-evga-680i-memory-failure-announcement.html

I read this earlier. Possibly your over powering your memory. I'm running my 6400C4 corsair memory at a fixed 1.85 and it works fine. Actually have 4 gigs running at that voltage with no problem.

I read that to. I have never run either one of these module sets at 2.4v

The highest they have been set to is 2.3v

I believe the board auto sets them to 2.2v on SPD, maybe 2.1v I can't remember right now.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
It sounds odd to loose two sets so close together in time but not impossible.
I would pay close attention to the temperature of the modules with ram intensive software especially with the i680 boards (be careful with that termination voltage).
I’ve lost more than 4 sets of memory to high clocks each being different brands and the only ones that are standing are the XMS2 1066 and my cheap Patriot modules.
Both of these modules exhibit a different response to high demand.
They run 10 – 15 C cooler at the same frequency, Timings and voltage.
I mounted a fan over the modules and the problem no longer exists.
If you push the lesser quality modules above their capabilities just keep them cool and watch the voltages.
Don’t get greedy with the latency when you’re over the ratings.
Use memtest for windows to detect errors in the windows environment caused by latencies being set too low.

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
There was a big stink about the 4-4-4-12 800Mhz Dominators a while back because the modules that were initially released used Micron chips, but as demand increased, Corsair started replacing the chips used on the modules with Promo chips. When people started experiencing issues with the ram and started asking questions, Corsair spoke up and admitted to what they had been doing. People got really upset, so Corsair started letting people RMA their ram and replace the modules with the PC8500 Dominators because they still used the Micron chips. Anyway, more than likely your expensive Dominators you have are using Promo chips and Promo chips can get pretty hungry for Voltage.

Dominators= Promo Crap

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It sounds odd to loose two sets so close together in time but not impossible.
I would pay close attention to the temperature of the modules with ram intensive software especially with the i680 boards (be careful with that termination voltage).
I’ve lost more than 4 sets of memory to high clocks each being different brands and the only ones that are standing are the XMS2 1066 and my cheap Patriot modules.
Both of these modules exhibit a different response to high demand.
They run 10 – 15 C cooler at the same frequency, Timings and voltage.
I mounted a fan over the modules and the problem no longer exists.
If you push the lesser quality modules above their capabilities just keep them cool and watch the voltages.
Don’t get greedy with the latency when you’re over the ratings.
Use memtest for windows to detect errors in the windows environment caused by latencies being set too low.

I am surprised my cheap Patriots also apparently outperformang the much more expensive XMS2 modules.

I am a stickler for cooling so I have a somewhat noisy but very high flow modified on a platform CPU cooling fan blowing on the memory chips since the get go.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
There was a big stink about the 4-4-4-12 800Mhz Dominators a while back because the modules that were initially released used Micron chips, but as demand increased, Corsair started replacing the chips used on the modules with Promo chips. When people started experiencing issues with the ram and started asking questions, Corsair spoke up and admitted to what they had been doing. People got really upset, so Corsair started letting people RMA their ram and replace the modules with the PC8500 Dominators because they still used the Micron chips. Anyway, more than likely your expensive Dominators you have are using Promo chips and Promo chips can get pretty hungry for Voltage.

Dominators= Promo Crap

Yea, I have to agree, I think lots of folks got screwed by Corsair, me being one of them. I'll just keep sending them back till they get it right. Performance memory is supposed to be PERFORMANCE memory not overpriced memory that gets its outperformed by cheap memory(Patriots).

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You'll find the Patriots can fail after extended higher than rated Vdd.
It’s not the voltage that can cause early failure as much as the amount of current it takes to maintain your frequency.
This is where some modules shine.
The fan I use is a 120mm fan independent and regulated.
I try to use the lowest possible voltage and a higher quality IC.
Here are the Micron Electrical specs on their data sheet pertaining to one of their products.
Note the absolute ratings and warning.

None of us follow the rules but it’s a good idea to know them 8)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
You'll find the Patriots can fail after extended higher than rated Vdd.
It’s not the voltage that can cause early failure as much as the amount of current it takes to maintain your frequency.
This is where some modules shine.
The fan I use is a 120mm fan independent and regulated.
I try to use the lowest possible voltage and a higher quality IC.
Here are the Micron Electrical specs on their data sheet pertaining to one of their products.
Note the absolute ratings and warning.

None of us follow the rules but it’s a good idea to know them 8)

providing the XMS2 modules I have are actual Micron chips, that is good info to know.

Unfortunately at this point the chips are already unrepairable. The error occur at all speeds or settings.

When I get them replaced I will try a lower than rated voltage and see if that helps. I think i will leave the Frequancy at 900Mhz though, maybe trim down some timing but in all fairness these chips should be able to handle it. I don't believe I grossly overclocked or over volted them to warrant the failures.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The Latency will also help stabilize those modules.
they should be able to handle DDR2 1000 at CAS 5
just by changing from 4 4 4 12 to 4 5 4 15 may reduce the load on the ram and reduce the current demand.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
XMSYellowbeard said:
Keep in mind that the Promos ICs DO have onboard voltage regulation. That's why they do not respond to voltage the same way the Micron ICs do. That's the main reason nothing changed. Also, you voided your warranty.
ouch
the truth hurts :lol:

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
XMSYellowbeard said:
Keep in mind that the Promos ICs DO have onboard voltage regulation. That's why they do not respond to voltage the same way the Micron ICs do. That's the main reason nothing changed. Also, you voided your warranty.

I tried the voltage after failures at SPD, but as stated it made no difference.

Plus if you say they are cheap Promos with voltage regulator how does that matter if I change the voltage to check on the issue, since it wont make any difference?

Yea, I can see you're a lot of help..., you might want to change your sig...

memorymaster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Warezme,

Yeah, the Corsair guy is kind of a jack***. I would RMA them anyways, since the company cannot tell if you voided your warranty or not. There is no for sure way they know if you went to 2.3V, or maybe you just bought a bad set of RAM. All the company can tell is that certain chips on the module are bad, so maybe you fried them (which I doubt) or maybe they sent you one with a bad IC on it.

There is no way they will reject your one RMA to cause a big publicity stink...

Also, you can still fry PROMOS chips, so I have no idea what he is talking about the voltage regulator keeping the chips from frying.... It's just that Micron IC's are a little more power hungry, hence they can withstand a little more power.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Warezme,

It's just that Micron IC's are a little more power hungry, hence they can withstand a little more power.

microns can take less current to do the same job as promos by design.
and they respond differently to supply voltage increases than promos by design.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Warezme,

Yeah, the Corsair guy is kind of a jack***. I would RMA them anyways, since the company cannot tell if you voided your warranty or not. There is no for sure way they know if you went to 2.3V, or maybe you just bought a bad set of RAM. All the company can tell is that certain chips on the module are bad, so maybe you fried them (which I doubt) or maybe they sent you one with a bad IC on it.

There is no way they will reject your one RMA to cause a big publicity stink...

Also, you can still fry PROMOS chips, so I have no idea what he is talking about the voltage regulator keeping the chips from frying.... It's just that Micron IC's are a little more power hungry, hence they can withstand a little more power.
There is no need for name calling, especially since this does not concern you. And since you clearly stated above "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT....." you may want to limit your contributions until you do. You may want to reread the thread and perhaps Google Confuscious.

We will HAPPILY work with the customer here on an individual basis. But, as Kwalker said, I was simply making some points.

Warezme, if you have any difficulties with your RMA, PM me please.