[SOLVED] Second PC Build - Reusing Parts and Build Feedback

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Planning my second PC build during Black Friday (may have started planning a little early?) and was wondering how viable it is to reuse components from my first build. First build was built around 5 years ago

Planning to upgrade most of my parts, but trying to cut costs by reusing my old PSU and CPU cooler.

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PG, 80 + Gold Fully ModularCPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Old Build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PysCmg

New build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TRzgXv

Any recommendations for the new build would be appreciated too :D.

Don't know too much about aftermarket 2070 Supers other than EVGA is the go-to. Also, unsure on Tomahawk B450 Max vs an X570 for my build.

This build is mainly for gaming. Also I'm choosing 2070 Super over 5700XT mainly cause of driver stability. If the main reason for 5700XT is price, then willing to pay for minus potential headache.

Thanks!

Solution
Yes. It is worth it.

Whether it is NEEDED or not could be a different story and would mainly depend on whether gaming is all you do or not, and if it is, whether the games you tend to play most are games that are highly optimized for multithreaded performance or not. If they are, then the extra cores and threads are a boon. If they are games that rarely if ever use more than 2-4 cores, then no, it's not. Also depends on whether you have designs on planning to do much multitasking WHILE gaming, such as recording, streaming, etc. If you do, then you certainly want the additional cores.

I'd probably do things a little bit differently, and when it comes to the case fans, I'd leave that for a separate discussion regarding whether pretty...
Your CPU cooler will not work with that built. The newer 212 series coolers DO come with an AM4 adapter for Ryzen AM4 sockets, but the older one does not AND the adapter kits are no longer available unless you can manage to track one down used somewhere. I just tried to find one for another member and was unable to do so.

Since that power supply only came with a five year warranty originally, and considering the extensive expense of the new hardware you are putting into this build and investing in, unfortunately I would have to say that it's a poor decision to try and save 80-100 bucks by using it. With a unit that old there is too much risk of degradation or outright failure of protections, that could result in some or all of your new hardware getting damaged if it decides to go out with a bang OR even if it simply is not suppressing ripple or regulating voltage as well as it used to do because of degraded filtering components or failing capacitors. And those are real concerns on old units.

I'd replace it. Power supplies are much advanced since five years ago and most of them that are in the very good category have 7-12 year warranties, with the average for a very good unit being 10 years on most models. I think it's unwise to try and save money on the one component that can not only AFFECT every other component, but kill every other component at the same time.

I'd recommend a good 650-750w unit for that build with that graphics card and my model recommendations can be found here:

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($86.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($679.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1417.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 02:24 EDT-0400

Reuse case and PSU. It will be a solid build.

Your CPU cooler will not work with that built. The newer 212 series coolers DO come with an AM4 adapter for Ryzen AM4 sockets, but the older one does not AND the adapter kits are no longer available unless you can manage to track one down used somewhere. I just tried to find one for another member and was unable to do so.

Since that power supply only came with a five year warranty originally, and considering the extensive expense of the new hardware you are putting into this build and investing in, unfortunately I would have to say that it's a poor decision to try and save 80-100 bucks by using it. With a unit that old there is too much risk of degradation or outright failure of protections, that could result in some or all of your new hardware getting damaged if it decides to go out with a bang OR even if it simply is not suppressing ripple or regulating voltage as well as it used to do because of degraded filtering components or failing capacitors. And those are real concerns on old units.

I'd replace it. Power supplies are much advanced since five years ago and most of them that are in the very good category have 7-12 year warranties, with the average for a very good unit being 10 years on most models. I think it's unwise to try and save money on the one component that can not only AFFECT every other component, but kill every other component at the same time.

I'd recommend a good 650-750w unit for that build with that graphics card and my model recommendations can be found here:

That PSU is the NEX750G right. I think it came with 10yr warranty. That PSU is not bad at all. Definitely not the best but is very decent and can be reused.

Yes at that budget he can easily swap it out for a new one. But really is it that necessary while already having a decent PSU at hand.

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
That PSU is the NEX750G right. I think it came with 10yr warranty. That PSU is not bad at all. Definitely not the best but is very decent and can be reused.

Yes at that budget he can easily swap it out for a new one. But really is it that necessary while already having a decent PSU at hand.
If i remember correctly, if came with a 5 year, plus another 5 if you registered which me being the idiot i was, didn't register.

Also thanks for the build. I wanna say a 2080 Super is a little overkill for what I'd be doing. I only have a 1080p monitor right now with plans to eventually get a 1440p. Not even close to 4k yet. I may be wrong here so happy to hear if that's the case.

Curious on the gigabyte x570 over the asus tuf x570 other than price.

And I heard if you're going for the Ryzen 5, you wanna get a DDR4-3600 RAM.

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014

Thanks. Honestly $100 isn't the end of the world. Was gonna go towards a better chair which can be bought anytime lol.

If i remember correctly, if came with a 5 year, plus another 5 if you registered which me being the idiot i was, didn't register.

Also thanks for the build. I wanna say a 2080 Super is a little overkill for what I'd be doing. I only have a 1080p monitor right now with plans to eventually get a 1440p. Not even close to 4k yet. I may be wrong here so happy to hear if that's the case.

Curious on the gigabyte x570 over the asus tuf x570 other than price.

And I heard if you're going for the Ryzen 5, you wanna get a DDR4-3600 RAM.
Then yes upgrade it with EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx series.

I recommend getting RTX2080Super specially if you plan on upgrading to 1440p. Or get RX570 for now and swap it out with RTX2080Ti even better for 1440p gaming. Don't be thinking that RTX2080Super and up are for 4K gaming. To be honest till date there isn't a GPU that can give you satisfactory gaming at 4K without compromise of either quality settings or fps.

Both motherboards are good. You can choose either one.

No need to upgrade the case unless you want front USB type c

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Then yes upgrade it with EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx series.

I recommend getting RTX2080Super specially if you plan on upgrading to 1440p. Or get RX570 for now and swap it out with RTX2080Ti even better for 1440p gaming. Don't be thinking that RTX2080Super and up are for 4K gaming. To be honest till date there isn't a GPU that can give you satisfactory gaming at 4K without compromise of either quality settings or fps.

Both motherboards are good. You can choose either one.

No need to upgrade the case unless you want front USB type c
Awesome. Thanks! And i just want to upgrade the case cause i'm tired of this one. Little too big, and the front fan controller doesn't work. Going for a simpler look. I'll make the changes and see if there's room for the 2080 super.

Something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $48.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $199.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card | $499.99 @ Amazon
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $55.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan | Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans | $32.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1481.71
| Mail-in rebates | -$50.00
| Total | $1431.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 04:49 EDT-0400 |

No, that is not the same unit. This unit is the PG. This one.

https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=d2a98331-4c5b-4cee-9a94-d5f1ae46ab98

And yes, it's warranty was extendable to 10 years, but most of those NEX units including the G1 models, were not good. We saw a lot of early failures on them. They were being compared, a lot, to the green label CX units at one point because there were a plethora of units dying off in gaming systems and IIRC they were a model known for cheap caps. That's a lot of hardware to put at risk over a less than 100 dollar power supply. Obviously, not my money, but if it was, there's no way I'd risk my investment with a unit that was mediocre when it was new, and is five years old now. Uh uh. Nope. Retire that unit to backup status or as a troubleshooting test unit, or use it in a system that doesn't have the same level of expense invested in it would be my recommendation.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($699.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1543.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 05:17 EDT-0400

Included the PSU and Case for minimal budget increment. I left out the CPU Cooler, use the one you already have or for matter of fact R7 3700X comes packed with a very decent cooler unlike Intel.

No, that is not the same unit. This unit is the PG. This one.

https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=d2a98331-4c5b-4cee-9a94-d5f1ae46ab98

And yes, it's warranty was extendable to 10 years, but most of those NEX units including the G1 models, were not good. We saw a lot of early failures on them. They were being compared, a lot, to the green label CX units at one point because there were a plethora of units dying off in gaming systems and IIRC they were a model known for cheap caps. That's a lot of hardware to put at risk over a less than 100 dollar power supply. Obviously, not my money, but if it was, there's no way I'd risk my investment with a unit that was mediocre when it was new, and is five years old now. Uh uh. Nope. Retire that unit to backup status or as a troubleshooting test unit, or use it in a system that doesn't have the same level of expense invested in it would be my recommendation.
Hmmm......... So this is not of the orginal NEX lineup eventhough it was named same. EVGA should work on their naming scheme. Well it is better now at-least they are numbering the generations.

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $48.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $199.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card | $499.99 @ Amazon
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $55.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $79.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan | Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans | $32.99 @ Amazon
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1481.71
| Mail-in rebates | -$50.00
| Total | $1431.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 04:49 EDT-0400 |
Ooooh. Thanks. That Deepcool looks interesting. Will have to look into it

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($699.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1543.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 05:17 EDT-0400

Included the PSU and Case for minimal budget increment. I left out the CPU Cooler, use the one you already have or for matter of fact R7 3700X comes packed with a very decent cooler unlike Intel.
Nice. Also torn between fully modular and semi modular too. Leaning more towards fully lol

Ooooh. Thanks. That Deepcool looks interesting. Will have to look into it
Pretty high CFM for its price point to push lots of air, with good user reviews and ratings. Here is one review...
"These fans are amazing value. Half the price of other similar fans. They are super quiet. They come with a 4 fan hub, RGB header cable, an RGB controller, and an RGB splitter/extension. My latest build using the captain 240 and these fans has added Deepcool to my list of brands when looking for parts. "

Do you guys think the extra $100 is worth it to upgrade the Ryzen 5 to the Ryzen 7
That $100 spent now will give you at least two more years of longevity over the Ryzen 5 and save you two more years of money for the next upgrade.

Yes. It is worth it.

Whether it is NEEDED or not could be a different story and would mainly depend on whether gaming is all you do or not, and if it is, whether the games you tend to play most are games that are highly optimized for multithreaded performance or not. If they are, then the extra cores and threads are a boon. If they are games that rarely if ever use more than 2-4 cores, then no, it's not. Also depends on whether you have designs on planning to do much multitasking WHILE gaming, such as recording, streaming, etc. If you do, then you certainly want the additional cores.

I'd probably do things a little bit differently, and when it comes to the case fans, I'd leave that for a separate discussion regarding whether pretty lights or actual performance are the bigger considerations for you. Given the thermal potential for that CPU and graphics card, I'd probably opt for performance oriented selection and get my RGB elsewhere such as strip and ambient lighting with a dedicated controller like the Hue 2 and it's whole ecosystem. If that's even a concern.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.69 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($553.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1446.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 20:47 EDT-0400

Solution
Those Deepcool RF 120 fans don't even offer ANY specifications for static pressure, which for an intake fan, means they should probably be avoided unless cooling is not a major consideration and aesthetics are the only legitimate factor involved with using them. Any fan with a reasonably good static pressure rating will advertise it's specifications somewhere, either on the product page, or retail documentation or in a review, something. Nothing at all for those fans. That's a fat nothingburger for me. Even a lot of fans with poor static pressure compared to non-RGB models will at least offer the specification. Those don't. For me, that's a deal breaker.

And that's aside from the well known fact that NONE of the RGB fans on the market, even the very decent Corsair Maglev fans, have static pressure ratings that are even half decent.

Those Deepcool RF 120 fans don't even offer ANY specifications for static pressure, which for an intake fan, means they should probably be avoided unless cooling is not a major consideration and aesthetics are the only legitimate factor involved with using them. Any fan with a reasonably good static pressure rating will advertise it's specifications somewhere, either on the product page, or retail documentation or in a review, something. Nothing at all for those fans. That's a fat nothingburger for me. Even a lot of fans with poor static pressure compared to non-RGB models will at least offer the specification. Those don't. For me, that's a deal breaker.

And that's aside from the well known fact that NONE of the RGB fans on the market, even the very decent Corsair Maglev fans, have static pressure ratings that are even half decent.
Those Deepcool fans are your regular bling factor on a budget with decent air flow and aesthetics. I am not a RGB fan either and for performance there is nothing better than Noctua...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Case Fan | Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140 mm Fan | $27.95 @ Amazon
| Total | $27.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 21:55 EDT-0400 |

I wouldn't care much of going RGB or not. But my recommendation is to go with RTX2080Super if you plan on upgrading to 1440p in future. The higher you go the less hit you will get on performance over time. If my friends here say that you can upgrade the GPU in future when you really plan on going 1440p, I say stick with something like RX570 or 580 save money and yes get bit dissatisfactory results at 1080p. But when you upgrade to 1440p go all out on the GPU and get the best out in the market even if you have to spend high.

jamesd14

Honorable
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks everyone!

Definitely a lot more to think about now regarding aesthetics, performance and price (really flip flopping on RGB, but I'll let future me closer to black friday figure that out).

That $100 spent now will give you at least two more years of longevity over the Ryzen 5 and save you two more years of money for the next upgrade.
Haha fine. Guess I'll get the 7. Maybe i can save on a CPU cooler as i've heard decent things about the Wraith Prism cooler. Probably not as good as any of the other after market coolers, but maybe passable.

I wouldn't care much of going RGB or not. But my recommendation is to go with RTX2080Super if you plan on upgrading to 1440p in future. The higher you go the less hit you will get on performance over time. If my friends here say that you can upgrade the GPU in future when you really plan on going 1440p, I say stick with something like RX570 or 580 save money and yes get bit dissatisfactory results at 1080p. But when you upgrade to 1440p go all out on the GPU and get the best out in the market even if you have to spend high.
Don't plan on overclocking or anything too intense. Even the 1440p is a question mark at the moment. Multitasking whilst gaming on a second monitor is probably the more intensive thing i'd do.

You don't need a 2080 Super for 1440p. I'm running a 2060 Super and it does VERY well at 1440p. It won't do Ultra at >100fps on demanding titles, but it will if I'm willing to drop settings. So with a 2070 Super, you should have no issues at all at that resolution. If you can seriously budget something better than a 2070 Super without having to take a big hit elsewhere in the build, and can shoulder that investment in the real world, then by all means go full throttle and fire all weapons on that but if you just want a very playable experience without spending any more than necessary, you would be perfectly fine with a 2070 Super at 1440p. I know people on this site, even on the moderation team, running regular 2070 cards and doing Ultra 60+ FPS on pretty much all titles out there. If you need 100+ FPS though, that's when you really want the bigger card AND a VERY capable CPU.