[SOLVED] Second Radeon RX 570 doesn't turn on / show image - how to fix?

empiretna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I have an MSI X399 SLI PLUS (MS-7B09) motherboard

I just added a second XFX Radeon RX 570 RS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 256bit video card into slot #2.

Using the radeon tool, I uninstalled the old driver, restarted, and reinstalled the new driver.

The 2nd video card does not turn on, shows no image on any of the monitors. I have 3 monitors connected to it. HDMI / DP / DVI -- tested cables, swapped around, nothing, no monitors show any image on this new video card.

To make sure its not cables, I swapped those too.

I have another Radeon RX570 but the same thing.

If I put in an old Geforce card, then it works. So I am starting to think its the 2 radeon rx570s not working together.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
I've done everything I found while searching online and what you've suggested, what others wrote in the past on TH.

-Booted into safe mode with networking
-Ran DDU, removed AMD & Nvidia drivers
-Disabled windows 10 auto driver installs
-Modified registry to disable "enableulps"
-Re-installed latest AMD drivers from scratch
-Tried witching the GPU bios via switch to bios 2.

Despite all of the above, the 2nd GPU doesn't turn on the monitors. It gets detected by device manager, shows up but all 3 monitors connected to it are no signal / off.

Then for the hell of it, I went on Youtube to learn how the hell Crossfire works. Last time I used it was 10 years ago when it was via cables. That's when the AHA moment came that solved...

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Might be a driver/registry problem, I had the Crossfire till I realized gaming developers won't support them and image is glitchy.
(Also no direct connection between the cards so software does all the work, bad)
You'll have to search registry for entries on ULPS (green sleep mode feature) and set them all from 1 to 0. Multiple entries.
Default is that windows will keep second GPU asleep, unless needed. Reboot PC after you've done this.
Make sure your second slot is not PCI x1 or x4.

empiretna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Might be a driver/registry problem, I had the Crossfire till I realized gaming developers won't support them and image is glitchy.
(Also no direct connection between the cards so software does all the work, bad)
You'll have to search registry for entries on ULPS (green sleep mode feature) and set them all from 1 to 0. Multiple entries.
Default is that windows will keep second GPU asleep, unless needed. Reboot PC after you've done this.
Make sure your second slot is not PCI x1 or x4.

I've set everything to zero in safe mode, and then rebooted, and my 2nd card is still asleep not showing anything.

empiretna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I've also DDU'd removed all old drivers, reinstalled new one in safe mode. and Still same nightmare, 2nd GPU doesn't show monitors.

In fact in device manager it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

empiretna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I've done everything I found while searching online and what you've suggested, what others wrote in the past on TH.

-Booted into safe mode with networking
-Ran DDU, removed AMD & Nvidia drivers
-Disabled windows 10 auto driver installs
-Modified registry to disable "enableulps"
-Re-installed latest AMD drivers from scratch
-Tried witching the GPU bios via switch to bios 2.

Despite all of the above, the 2nd GPU doesn't turn on the monitors. It gets detected by device manager, shows up but all 3 monitors connected to it are no signal / off.

Then for the hell of it, I went on Youtube to learn how the hell Crossfire works. Last time I used it was 10 years ago when it was via cables. That's when the AHA moment came that solved my problem.

AMD is now software based crossfire, when I fired up AMD Software, I saw it shows both my video cards. One is in LINKED state, while other is primary.

I quickly googled how to turn off crossfire, and once I did all my 6 monitors came alive.

This was a fun few days of troubleshooting. But there's the solution!

Last edited:
Solution