[SOLVED] second RAM isnt working Kingston Crucial

soetjes

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
i just bought a new Ram stick from Crucial ( 8gb DDR4-2400) but for some reason it doesnt add up with my other 8 gb ram stick (kingston 9905678-043)

ive allready tried to put them into other slots put it stays on 8gb.

can someone please help me.

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Unfortunately mixed modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). It's a 50/50 gamble whether mixed modules work, regardless as to whether they the same make/model/timings. This is due to how the manufacturing process changes over time.

So 2 modules of the exact same model but from 2 different packs could not be compatible. Only way to find out is to try. Not saying it never works, just it's 50/50. It's best practice to buy a whole new pack to avoid any potential headache.

Have you tried the new RAM module just by itself?
What is the rest of your system spec?
Have you reset CMOS?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Unfortunately mixed modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). It's a 50/50 gamble whether mixed modules work, regardless as to whether they the same make/model/timings. This is due to how the manufacturing process changes over time.

So 2 modules of the exact same model but from 2 different packs could not be compatible. Only way to find out is to try. Not saying it never works, just it's 50/50. It's best practice to buy a whole new pack to avoid any potential headache.

Have you tried the new RAM module just by itself?
What is the rest of your system spec?
Have you reset CMOS?

Solution

soetjes

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
thank you for your fast reply,

yes i tried the ram by itself and it works just fine. the rest of my pc specs are

CPU: intel core i7-6700@3.40 ghz
MOBA: Gigabyte H110M-S2H-CF
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3gb

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
thank you for your fast reply,

yes i tried the ram by itself and it works just fine. the rest of my pc specs are

CPU: intel core i7-6700@3.40 ghz
MOBA: Gigabyte H110M-S2H-CF
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
In which case being as your modules do not require XMP with that motherboard, it could be a simple case of the mixed modules not playing nicely together.

I would simply power cycle the PC, install both RAM modules, clear CMOS, then try again.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i tried to do what you said and it didnt work
Does you BIOS have any ability to configure XMP or adjust RAM settings?

If not, the mixed modules might be your issue. It's why it is best practice to buy a whole new pack.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It does have the option to adjust the RAM setting.

But now it also shows is the bios that i have a 16gb ram but my windows doesnt.
This can be typical of RAM not working together correctly.

I would usually say it might be worth checking the CPU socket for bent pins - but if BIOS detects 16GB, it's less likely the be the issue.

It is also worth updating the BIOS to latest if you haven't already.

If not, just plug in 1 stick, go into BIOS and raise DRAM voltage + 0.05 and save and shutdown, then add second module and try then. If nothing at that point - it does go back to earlier point that mixed modules often don't work together and you'll probably need to buy a whole new pack or return to just 1 module.

Last edited:

lynx1021

Distinguished
From PC Tailor:"If not,.with one stick in, go into BIOS and raise DRAM voltage + 0.05 and save and shutdown, then add second module and try then" I had to raise my voltage + 0.05 when I added two more sticks on my boards also a while back.