[SOLVED] Second RAM slot not working ?

Aug 21, 2021
Hi, I have an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX 2 and 2x16GB, 3600MHz KLEVV BOLT RAM. When I plug either RAM stick into the A2 slot the system works fine, but plugging both into A2 and B2 causes the RAM LED to light up and the system won't boot. Before I decide if it's a faulty motherboard, does anyone know of any fixes to this problem?

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v3.1.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

First when you install the RAM you are installing the first physically installed stick into the DIMMA2 slot first - correct?

Reference physically numbered Page 28 of the User Manual. (It appears that you are doing so but felt it best to confirm.)

Second: are the two 16 GB modules from a matched kit for dual channel use?

Use a bright flashlight to take a close look at the B2 slot. Look for signs of debris and/or damage in the slot.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v3.1.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

First when you install the RAM you are installing the first physically installed stick into the DIMMA2 slot first - correct?

Reference physically numbered Page 28 of the User Manual. (It appears that you are doing so but felt it best to confirm.)

Second: are the two 16 GB modules from a matched kit for dual channel use?

Use a bright flashlight to take a close look at the B2 slot. Look for signs of debris and/or damage in the slot.

Solution
Aug 21, 2021
Yep that's the right manual and motherboard.

I always installed A2 first, followed by B2 as per the manual instructions, and yes both RAM sticks are from the same dual channel kit.

Could I try one stick in A1 and the other in B1 to see if that works instead or would that cause damage to the motherboard?

Thanks

Aug 21, 2021
Bent CPU pin is really unlikely but I can always check if all else fails.

Will two sticks A1 and B2 run any faster than one stick in A2? Surely I wouldn’t get duel channel on those two. But thanks for the suggestion I’ll give it a go

Aug 21, 2021
There's no problem with the CPU and no combination of slot B2 and any other slot are working.

I tested the RAM by using both in slot A2 separately and both are in working order.

You got other suggestions before I replace the motherboard?

Thanks so much for your help guys