Question Second Rig Busted. Could the CPU be the culprit or my rookie mistake with the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Hi all.

Some half a year ago I assembled a PC, it worked like a hot knife throu butter. But a month later, i got a BSOD, PC restarted and got stuck on boot loop. Tried every sigle tutorial on this forum, nothing helped.
Old PC specs:

CPU: i3 6300
MOBO: Gigabyte Ga-h110M-DS
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Value 1x8GB 2300Mhz - [F4-2400C17S-8GNT]
PSU: HKC V-450
GPU: Amd RX 570

Anyways i left the old rig alone to sit in the corner for parts.

Just today I got the CPU out of that old PC to put in my "new" budget pc. Bought new mother board, new RAM, new PSU, new SSD, bassicly the only thing that was old is the CPU.

Fired off my new machine, installed windows, went to update windows, and BSOD, PC freezes, restarts, infinite boot loop. Then i noticed that one of the (dual set) ram sticks was still on the table. I actually installed 1 stick (2133Mhz) from the new dual channel set, and 1 stick (2400Mhz) sigle channel, that was laying around on the same table.... ( They all look the same, since theyre budged and from the same company).

Tried changing ram to both off the new sticks, then just 1 stick, then jsut 1 old stick, no ram at all, removing battery, falowing MOBO's manual to short (CLRCT) pins, shorting them with battery out aswell, changing the PSU, reconecting all cables, reseting the CPU, discarding the GPU and connecting video direct throu MOBO. Nothing does the trick, its just no post and a black screen.

New PC spec:

CPU : i3 6300 (used) from old pc
MOBO: ASUS H110M-R/C/SI (new from shop)
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Value 2x8GB 2133Mhz - [F4-2133C15D-16GNT] (new from shop)
PSU: Corsair RM 650x (new from shop)
GPU: Asus GTX 770 (used)

So could it be the CPU, or i did really screw up by putting two different ram sticks in( 1 stick from 2stick set) and (1 stick from some time ago dedicated for single channel)

I used 1 stick of G.Skill DDR4 Value 2x8GB 2133Mhz - [F4-2133C15D-16GNT]
And 1 stick G.Skill DDR4 Value 1x8GB 2300Mhz - [F4-2400C17S-8GNT]

Anyways, what a rookie mistake. I would apreciate if anyones has any ideas to share on this matter

Ralston18

Titan
There is no harm, per se, in trying to reuse the RAM you have available. Sometimes such things do work out.....

If that RAM does not work then all you can do is to go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find out what RAM is supported and in what configurations.

Check the Motherboard's RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for compatible memory.

Most likely you will need a matched RAM kit for dual channel use. I.e., a 2 x 8GB kit if I correctly understand the situation.

Pay close attention to all fine print, caveats, and specs.

Details matter.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
There is no harm, per se, in trying to reuse the RAM you have available. Sometimes such things do work out.....

If that RAM does not work then all you can do is to go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find out what RAM is supported and in what configurations.

Check the Motherboard's RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for compatible memory.

Most likely you will need a matched RAM kit for dual channel use. I.e., a 2 x 8GB kit if I correctly understand the situation.

Pay close attention to all fine print, caveats, and specs.

Details matter.
Thanks for the input. I checked QVL list, and it does seem that the RAM modules i have are not on the list.

However, even trying to boot with no RAM at all, wouldnt i atleast get a display with some kind of message? I mean even with no RAM sticks installed its still not posting.

PS. Im waiting for the parts shop to open, going to go buy a MOBO speaker, going to update the post, if they have any in stock.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
So i came back with the MOBO speaker, tried running pc withou any ram at first, got 1 long and 2 short beeps, insisting memory problem. Thats correct.

Then tried inserting 1 stick of ram, and i get no beeps at all, all fans spin, all lights are on, but the monitor is completely black.

Put the cpu in diferent motherboard, same problem, no beeps, black monitor.

My guess the CPU is toast. Cant be that both of the mobos are faulty, since theyr from shop brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.