[SOLVED] Second router 1/20th speed of Primary

Dec 21, 2020
I am trying to add a second router. I'm on Win10, have a Spectrum primary router (192.168.1.1) and a Tenda AC1200 as secondary, Lan to Lan cable..
I have turned off DHCP in the Tenda and changed the ip to 192.168.1.3. Also changed the channel on spectrum tp 1 and the Tenda to 6.
Both routers are side by side, when I do a speed test wirelessly on the Spectrum I get 220Mps and when I do it on the Tenda I get 10Mps?
Also tried to turn on the AP (access point) on the Tenda, same results. Also changed cable to a Cat 5E.
Can't find this problem in the forum, Any help out there?
Thanks

They shouldn't be side by side, even if the channels are different. Try spreading them out much further.

Also, you have the ethernet cable on the 4 port switch of the primary router connected to one of the ports on the 4 port switch of the tenda right? Not the WAN port?

RealBeast

Titan
I am trying to add a second router. I'm on Win10, have a Spectrum primary router (192.168.1.1) and a Tenda AC1200 as secondary, Lan to Lan cable..
I have turned off DHCP in the Tenda and changed the ip to 192.168.1.3. Also changed the channel on spectrum tp 1 and the Tenda to 6.
Both routers are side by side, when I do a speed test wirelessly on the Spectrum I get 220Mps and when I do it on the Tenda I get 10Mps?
Also tried to turn on the AP (access point) on the Tenda, same results. Also changed cable to a Cat 5E.
Thanks
Is 192.168.1.3 outside of the Spectrum DHCP assignable range (i.e. static), or at least assigned as a reserved dynamic?

Dec 21, 2020
They shouldn't be side by side, even if the channels are different. Try spreading them out much further.

Also, you have the ethernet cable on the 4 port switch of the primary router connected to one of the ports on the 4 port switch of the tenda right? Not the WAN port?

Yes it's Lan to Lan. and When I put the Tenda in another room got the same thing.
and yes the DHCP assignments start at 192.168.1.50 on the primary.

Dec 21, 2020
Yes it's Lan to Lan. and When I put the Tenda in another room got the same thing.
Is 192.168.1.3 outside of the Spectrum DHCP assignable range (i.e. static), or at least assigned as a reserved dynamic?

RealBeast

Titan
What kind of environment (apartment.condo v. widely separated homes)? Have you checked the channels for other users with a free cellphone app that does simple wifi analysis? In other words perhaps you would be better off using channels 1 and 11.

edit: another thought, does the Tenda have the latest firmware?

Dec 21, 2020
What kind of environment (apartment.condo v. widely separated homes)? Have you checked the channels for other users with a free cellphone app that does simple wifi analysis? In other words perhaps you would be better off using channels 1 and 11.

edit: another thought, does the Tenda have the latest firmware?

Same house separte rooms. when I use one of those pphone apps to anylis I cam ping both primary and secondary and they both average about 25ms.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks
Which "Tenda AC1200" router is that? Is it the AC6 or the AC9 ? Makes a BIG difference. The AC6 only has 100Mbit wired ethernet ports.