Second Router and Port Forwarding

Billy B

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I need to forward a port on my second router. i have spent countless nights without success. Please help.

So first a little bit of back story. Me and my friend played a lot of Minecraft through a server successfully running on my computer. We eventually school got in the way and we stopped playing. I eventually got a laptop which prompted me to add a secondary router inside of my room. My room is separated from the rest of the house and though my PC is plugged into the wall and directly to the main router, my laptop and phone depend on the Wi-Fi which was very spotty. It was a giant pain in the ass but i got everything working. My current setup is through the WAN port, not the LAN port, but working fantastic.

We have some time between semesters and want to play Minecraft again, but i am unable to forward the proper port. i have put hours upon hours into trying to get it to work. From what i can piece together, it is best to NOT use the WAN port and instead use the LAN port. My pain problem i am having is tutorials using routers that have different setting options and wording that the two i have. For example, every tutorial i could find only had a STARTING IP range and not an ENDING IP range. i began getting confused as to what should be within what range. My computer's static IP, Router 2's static IP, etc.

Here is a link to screenshots of my WORKING setup. Netgear is Router 1 and Linksys (tomato firmware) is Router 2.

i think my problem is what my starting and ending IP range should be for both Router 1 and Router 2. And what, in relation to that range, should router 2's static IP be and my PC's static IP be.

http://

Thanks in advance. This is greatly appreciated.

Solution
You just want to turn DHCP off on the second router. You then simply assign it a ip address to the second outside the dhcp pool range on the first router like any other pc you would assign a static address to. If you can't figure it out just assign it a high number like .250 and hope you never get a lot of devices on you network.

There are youtube video even on how to make my router a AP.

Billy B

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Okay so i just want to make sure first becaus eevery time i try, i screw up royally and have to factory reset router 2.
1. Should i still switch from using the WAN port of router 2 to using a LAN port?
2. Router 1's range happens to be from .2 to .254, so i should make the static IP address of router 2 to 255?
3. i assume it doesn;t matter what my static ip address is for my computer.
4. Based on what i have seen, my port forward options should be the following
Router 1: Minecraft.25565/IP OF ROUTER 2
Router 2: Minecraft/25565/IP OF COMPUTER

is this correct?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

1. Yes, use the LAN port, not the WAN port.
2. Don't use 255, that is reserved for the broadcast address. Use 250 as suggested by bill001g and you should be fine.
3. Technically you will want to use a static IP outside of the DHCP range to prevent other devices from being assigned the same address, but since it appears you can't adjust the DHCP range (?) then use something in the upper range other than 250 and less than 255.
4. You will only forward ports on router 1, NOT router 2. Set port forwarding on router 1 to the IP address of the Minecraft computer.

Billy B

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
i am unable to assign my computer a static IP address through the above setup. When i do, i can no longer connect to the internet. Here is a screenshot of the adjustments i made per your suggestions. i turned DHCP Server off and assigned my router a static IP of 250.
and to comment on BuddhaSkoota reply, i can change the range on router 1. Currently it is .2 to .254, but i can change both starting and ending IP range. i have my computer's IP back to automatic for the time being, but i know i do need a static IP address in order to run a server. Plus i use my phone to connect to my computer as well, so it is convenient to always have the same IP address.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54598162/Wifi/2015-08-01%2002_11_29-%5Btomato%5D%20Basic_%20Network.png

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You need to set the LAN side of the router to 250, not the WAN side. The WAN side is unused in your setup, so leave it blank or all zeros.

You should change the DHCP range on the first router to something that prevents your static IP addresses from being inadvertently assigned. I'd recommend 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99, which is probably more than you'll ever need, but allows you to use 100 and up for static assignments.

Solution

Billy B

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Almost there. My computer has a static IP and is connecting to the internet. However, router 1 is giving me the following message when i try to forward port 25565: The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations..
EDIT: fixed the above.

i was able to add 25565 to the port forwarding list, and Port Forward reads it as open!
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Glad to hear that you got it working, and thanks for posting back.