[SOLVED] Second router slow speeds

Sep 29, 2020
Hi, abit of a newbie here, im looking for some advice and help regarding a second router that I am using with ExpressVpn Loaded onto the router.
I currently have BT 1Gig internet, I have connected the second router (Netgear Nighthawk r7000) by the WAN port into the LAN port on my main router. All works great. From the second router I have connected it to my Apple TV 4K by ethernet. My Speeds using VPN is around 60MBPS, which I'm happy with, unless you think that is very slow.

My Main question is when I turn off the VPN from the second router and do a speed test I am only getting around 300MBPS, which before when using my main router connected to my Apple TV 4K (without VPN) my speed test was 950MBPS.
Is there a reason why the second router isn't getting the same speeds as my main router without using a vpn?

I hope all this makes sense I've tried to explain it best I can..

Thank you in advance

Solution
Thank you for your reply, does this apply to if I am not using the vpn though, my bt router delivers 1gig but the netgear router is around 300mbps, is this just because the router isn’t that good?
I was concerned that I had connected the two wrongs up wrong etc?
Thanks

For a single stream, 300mbps is about right with that router. It's a processor limitation. If you have multiple streams your total bandwidth may go up provided you have all the extras turned off. That's the case with the R7800 X4S (which is a good router, and darn fast. But it's single stream download speed is limited to ~300mbps)
That router was NEVER a very good router. That was one of the few stinkers by Netgear. The forums are filled with support issues.

60MBps is actually good for such a lower powered machine though. Encryption is extremely CPU intensive. This is especially true if the CPU doesn't have native AES encryption support. I've seen mobile i5 intel boxes that barely get 100->300Mbps encrypted on iPerf with DPI and IPS packet inspection.

Sep 29, 2020
That router was NEVER a very good router. That was one of the few stinkers by Netgear. The forums are filled with support issues.

60MBps is actually good for such a lower powered machine though. Encryption is extremely CPU intensive. This is especially true if the CPU doesn't have native AES encryption support. I've seen mobile i5 intel boxes that barely get 100->300Mbps encrypted on iPerf with DPI and IPS packet inspection.

Thank you for your reply, does this apply to if I am not using the vpn though, my bt router delivers 1gig but the netgear router is around 300mbps, is this just because the router isn’t that good?
Thanks

Thanks

For a single stream, 300mbps is about right with that router. It's a processor limitation. If you have multiple streams your total bandwidth may go up provided you have all the extras turned off. That's the case with the R7800 X4S (which is a good router, and darn fast. But it's single stream download speed is limited to ~300mbps)

Solution