[SOLVED] Second router wifi speeds

pcgui2001

Commendable
Jul 13, 2018
Hello,
I plugged in a second router/switch through an ethernet cable to a room in the back of my house with its own hot spot a while back. (dont ask how i did i, it was years ago) I just found out that it has never had the same wifi speeds as the main one in the house. Did some research and came across this "half duplex" term. I semi understand what it means but an explanation for it is not what im looking for here..... Just wondering what is a workaround to get higher speeds in the back room? Is wifi extender a better option or what is?

Thank you very much

Paul

Solution
The main reason your Netgear has much lower speed than your Linksys is that your devices probably use 5Ghz when connecting to the Linksys. The Netgear is a 2.4Ghz only router. It is also an N vs AC router. I would expect you to get MAX of 75Mbit with the Netgear.

Ralston18

Titan
Start here:

https://study-ccna.com/half-duplex-and-full-duplex/

Short reference.

Noted that you did not want an explanation per se but you do need to understand that there is no workaround other than a change to your network.

Remember that wireless is inherently slower than wired.

What may be more viable are powerline adapters. However, the effective speeds are dependent on your home's circuits and wiring.

As I understand your network:

ISP -----> Modem -----> Router ------Ethernet cable to back room-----> Second router (or switch) then various wired & wireless devices.

Device make and models? Do you have a separate modem and router or a combined (combo) modem/router?

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Could be a matter of just a defective Ethernet cable or some configuration setting.

Look at your Ethernet cables: what type are they?

And there are some tests you can do within your own network that may help locate where the slowdowns are occuring.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
I plugged in a second router/switch through an ethernet cable to a room in the back of my house with its own hot spot a while back. (dont ask how i did i, it was years ago) I just found out that it has never had the same wifi speeds as the main one in the house. Did some research and came across this "half duplex" term. I semi understand what it means but an explanation for it is not what im looking for here..... Just wondering what is a workaround to get higher speeds in the back room? Is wifi extender a better option or what is?

Thank you very much

Paul
If you have an ethernet connection, then a router (as an access point) or a true access point is the best option. What are the models of the two routers being compared?

pcgui2001

Commendable
Jul 13, 2018
Start here:

https://study-ccna.com/half-duplex-and-full-duplex/

Short reference.

Noted that you did not want an explanation per se but you do need to understand that there is no workaround other than a change to your network.

Remember that wireless is inherently slower than wired.

What may be more viable are powerline adapters. However, the effective speeds are dependent on your home's circuits and wiring.

As I understand your network:

ISP -----> Modem (from the ISP) -----> Router (Linksys EA6350) ------Ethernet cable to back room (UTP CAT 6)-----> Second router (or switch)(Netgear WNR3500Lv2) then various wired & wireless devices(only 1 phone and 2 laptops being used by this AP).

Device make and models? Do you have a separate modem and router or a combined (combo) modem/router?

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Could be a matter of just a defective Ethernet cable or some configuration setting.

Look at your Ethernet cables: what type are they?

And there are some tests you can do within your own network that may help locate where the slowdowns are occuring.

@Ralston18 @kanewolf
Thank you guys so much for your responses. in the quoted message above from Ralston I put in some more information. I bolded it and underlined it. I so understand that any wifi connection is slower than wired. As i write this i have not yet read the article that Ralston provided but i will as soon as im done with this message. I just knew i needed to get you guys some more info as far as my hardware config.

Thanks again for the help!
Paul

Ralston18

Titan
Suggest an experiment:

From one of the wireless laptops going "through" the AP run "tracert 8.8.8.8" via the command prompt.

Then connect that same laptop wired to your Netgear Router (Disable wireless, enable wired) and do the test again.

Do several runs each time to get a "consensus".

Compare the results between wired and wireless. Looking only at the hops within your network, what do you see?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/tracert-command-2618101

https://www.pcwdld.com/traceroute

Overall, I believe that you will likely be able to see the performance differences between wired and wireless.

kanewolf

Titan
The main reason your Netgear has much lower speed than your Linksys is that your devices probably use 5Ghz when connecting to the Linksys. The Netgear is a 2.4Ghz only router. It is also an N vs AC router. I would expect you to get MAX of 75Mbit with the Netgear.

Solution