[SOLVED] Second router with full traffic (EdgeOS)

Oct 2, 2019
So I recently moved and the apartment I now live in shares the internet with the main house. I want to setup my personal router so that all ports are open in the main router to my router. So that I can open ports whenever I need, without fiddling with the main router. The reason I'm asking this and not following a generic tutorial, is because I've already tried doing this. And in doing so, messed up the internet for every device connected to the router. I ended up switching to a manual DNS server for every device that my landlord owned to temporarily fix it until an IT dude could look at the router. The landlord never knew I messed it up in the first place, so fortunately for me he ended up thinking I was a networking god who fixed his internet issues. However, I'd rather not go through that again, so if anyone could point me in the direction of where I might find a specific guide to do this for the EdgeOS, or if you yourself could tell me what to do. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution
I want to setup my personal router so that all ports are open in the main router to my router. So that I can open ports whenever I need, without fiddling with the main router.

I do not believe you can.
The port needs to be open on th parent router for anything to pass through to your router and subnet.
Oct 2, 2019
Also, if it wasn't already apparent. I'm not infact a networking god. I know some stuff, but obviously not enough. I don't really know what happened the first time, the IT guy said the router was busted and replaced it, so I don't know.

USAFRet

Titan
I want to setup my personal router so that all ports are open in the main router to my router. So that I can open ports whenever I need, without fiddling with the main router.

I do not believe you can.
The port needs to be open on th parent router for anything to pass through to your router and subnet.

Solution
Oct 2, 2019
I mean, I have access to the main router. Wouldn't it be possible to open all the ports to the ip of my router?

I'd just rather not be in there too much.

Oct 2, 2019
I mean, if that's not desirable then I guess not. I was thinking that the second router would recieve all the open ports traffic from the main router, but only let through the ones I want. But like I said, I don't really know how this works.

So like: ALL TRAFFIC -> (main router with all open ports) -> ALL TRAFFIC -> (my router with ports open for X) -> X.

USAFRet

Titan
I mean, if that's not desirable then I guess not. I was thinking that the second router would recieve all the open ports traffic from the main router, but only let through the ones I want. But like I said, I don't really know how this works.

So like: ALL TRAFFIC -> (main router with all open ports) -> ALL TRAFFIC -> (my router with ports open for X) -> X.
"I was thinking that the second router would recieve all the open ports traffic from the main router "
And anyone connected to the main router is wide open.

Oct 2, 2019
Oooh, I thought the ports only applied to a destination ip. So only my router with a static ip is exposed. But in that case I'll just open the ports I need on the main one like usual.