[SOLVED] Second SSD files are system files? Can't backup.

Jun 25, 2020
Ok backstory. My company was using our boss's computer as the main hub where we stored all of our files. He had an ssd for operating system and programs and an hdd for our work files. Recently the hdd went bad and was unrecoverable. Luckily we had been backing everything up to a WD mycloud. I replaced the bad hdd with a 2tb ssd. I did a restore from the mycloud to the new ssd. A few weeks have gone by and I noticed that our files are not backing up to the mycloud like they're supposed to.

Now to my problem. The mycloud smartware program will only backup from categories like documents, pictures, etc... The program however sees all the data on the second ssd as system data and won't back it up. Even if I switch from category back up to file back up the program won't let me check any of the folders or files.

I assume I didn't format the driver properly and that is why everything is considered system files and not extra storage. Is there a way to fix this without formatting the drive again? We restored the mycloud thinking that might have been the issue so the backup we had is gone.

Also a side not that I thought was weird. We have an external drive with 1.24tb free. Data on the ssd only takes up ~850gb. I tried to copy everything over to make a quick backup if I needed to format. Computer then tells me there is not enough room on the external to copy the files. It says 1.24 free and I need 4.31tb more to copy the files. Like I said there is only ~850gb on the 2tb ssd, so why do I need 5.55tb to copy the files?

Solution
Ok backstory. My company was using our boss's computer as the main hub where we stored all of our files. He had an ssd for operating system and programs and an hdd for our work files. Recently the hdd went bad and was unrecoverable. Luckily we had been backing everything up to a WD mycloud. I replaced the bad hdd with a 2tb ssd. I did a restore from the mycloud to the new ssd. A few weeks have gone by and I noticed that our files are not backing up to the mycloud like they're supposed to.

Now to my problem. The mycloud smartware program will only backup from categories like documents, pictures, etc... The program however sees all the data on the second ssd as system data and won't back it up. Even if I switch from category back up...

RealBeast

Titan

Now to my problem. The mycloud smartware program will only backup from categories like documents, pictures, etc... The program however sees all the data on the second ssd as system data and won't back it up. Even if I switch from category back up to file back up the program won't let me check any of the folders or files.

I assume I didn't format the driver properly and that is why everything is considered system files and not extra storage. Is there a way to fix this without formatting the drive again? We restored the mycloud thinking that might have been the issue so the backup we had is gone.

Also a side not that I thought was weird. We have an external drive with 1.24tb free. Data on the ssd only takes up ~850gb. I tried to copy everything over to make a quick backup if I needed to format. Computer then tells me there is not enough room on the external to copy the files. It says 1.24 free and I need 4.31tb more to copy the files. Like I said there is only ~850gb on the 2tb ssd, so why do I need 5.55tb to copy the files?
Wow, I hope this is a very small business and that its continuing existence is not depending upon data management that is not even good enough for a home user.

Seriously, get your boss to spend a little to use good backup software like Macrium Reflect workstation or server. They have a 30 day trial and excellent support. I would also consider something more than one USB drive with MyCloud for backup. A quick power outage or computer shutdown during a USB write and all the data is toast.

Solution