Second try at installing a new GPU, replacing an APU

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
So I tried to install a second hand GPU last time, and now that I'm trying again, I'd like to get some problems adressed before even beginning, that occured last time.

So first off, the specs:
I have an AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD graphics (4.70 Hz),
Motherboard is: MSI A78M-E35 (MS-7721) (P0)
I don't currently have GPU installed, but the one I was going to install is the
(Nvidia) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 D5 2G

It should be noted that it seems impossible to properly uninstall my existing graphics driver-- even after using various uninstall tools the screen never gets that typical MOBO graphics look, like in safe mode. Is this some sort of autodownload thing of AMD's that I don't know of? By any means I'd love to know.

So I plugged in the card and couldn't find the right cables ( they were hidden in some obscure corner in the computer), so after booting the pc only the fans worked. Once I did eventually find the cables and plugged them in, the computer automatically shut down and wouldnt boot again until switched off completely. After about 3 times of this, the card completely fried itself ( you could smell it. ) During the few times it actually ran it never showed up in the hardware monitor or anything. Is it a rubbish card, or is something off about the motherboard?

All in all a step by step guide with these issues in mind would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

thanks for the recommendation. Updated my question with the specs you asked for.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
GeForce® GTX 1050 D5 2G(rev1.0/rev1.1)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1050D5-2GD#sp
A78M-E35
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/A78M-E35/Specification
Did you update the Motherboard Bios to the latest version?
Version
Release Date
2014-12-23
File Size
5.61 MB
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A78M-E35#support-vga
Note that the Video Card in not on the VGA Support list.

I need to know is what model power supply are you using?

So I plugged in the card and couldn't find the right cables ( they were hidden in some obscure corner in the computer), so after booting the pc only the fans worked. Once I did eventually find the cables and plugged them in, the computer automatically shut down and wouldnt boot again until switched off completely.
What cables did you plug in? The GTX 1050 D5 2G does not need extra power?

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

Here's my current PSU http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/thunder/thunder-700w/

Allow me to clarify. The card I tried before was an MSI Geforce GTX 780. It had a 6 pin and an 8 pin slot.
You're saying the card I bought this time, won't need any?

Also, when you say it's not on the VGA support list, what does that mean for me?

In the meantime I'll go make sure I updated my BIOS.. which I may not have.

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
Performed the update for the BIOS to the version you supplied-- going off the fact that it seemed to reinstall my visual driver and other device drivers, I'll assume it is indeed a different version from my first.

I really don't know which card to pick anymore at this point. So I just went with one. The previous one was second-hand so it might've just been garbage to begin with. This one I bought from a more respectable place. Again, to clarify, I never tried this card before, the one I tried before was different.

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

As I mentioned before, the 780 I bought before is completely fried (which happened during installation, though I can't be sure it wasn't faulty to begin with), it's junk now.
I can only wait for the 1050 I just bought to arrive later today. which should be in about up to 13 hours.

So you're saying when I get it, to just try and plug it in like I did with the last and cross my fingers?

And I do have PCI set to preferred.
But there's also this dual graphics thing I have to have on to be able to share my physical RAM to the grapic device. Would it be best to turn that off, too?

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

So then you're still saying just give it a spin? Anything in particular I should be careful about when physically installing the card?

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

Right, but when in all these steps do I actually uninstall the previous drivers (For the APU)? Do I need to do that at all?

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
After installing the card, and moving over the VGA cable to the DVI slot with an adapter ( perhaps not the best idea), the screen remains completely black for what can be expected to be indefinitely.

The normal VGA slot is disabled, apparently, but it's also not showing anything through the DVI thing. Should I get a dedicated monitor ETC to just use the slot normally? Could that even be the issue? Perhaps a wrongly ordered adapter.. Either way, it's about the same issues the previous card had, but assuming from it's lack of extra power slots, I don't think it'll fry itself like the last one. (I had to take it back out to type all this)

UPDATE: unlike the first one, this one actually shows up in the disconnected devices list on hardware monitor.

Fanta Zee

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
Well that's why I'm here. I installed the driver but it still doesn't pop up. I also get the feeling the card's fans never started spinning, as rapidly removing the case after shutting down the machine had the fan perfectly still. but i'm not sure about that. I do recall the previous card's fans spinning despite it not working, up until it burnt itself down

Sooo help me out- what now?

ps. It should be noted that despite everything, windows did manage to recognize it as the 1050.