Secondary Hard Drive disappeared completely after turning on from sleep mode.

l0l1324

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I was carrying my laptop on a trip, and I forgot to turn it off before I packed it. The laptop died, so big deal. I charged it up as normal. After I turned on my PC, I realized that my secondary hard drive wasn't being detected. I checked device manager, disk management, nothing.

I do have a theory for what's going on though: The hard drive won't turn on. It starts up as normal when my PC is booting, but it stops spinning when Windows is active. There is some kind of "fail safe" that when the laptop is unplugged for more than twenty minutes, all hard drives turn off. In this case, my second hard drive wont turn back on.

I fiddled with power management and made it so that the hard drives would always stay on, but the problem persists. I am completely out of ideas and am sick of troubleshooting.

It shouldn't be a hardware failure because this is a fairly new hard drive that I got a month ago. Maybe some cable got loose, I don't know. I'm pretty sure that's not the case though. The laptop components are too tightly fitted.

Any ideas? :\ BTW: I am using Windows 10.

Solution
Hi there l0l1324,

In my view, this is most probably a hardware related issue.
As Hellfire13 suggested, you need to attach the drive to another system in order to see if it is dead or not.
In case the drive doesn't appear over there, you can:
- Contact a data recovery company if you need the data.
- RMA the drive if it is under warranty.

In case the drive is recognized over there, but it is not recognized by your laptop(even in BIOS), then there's a chance that there is something wrong with your laptop.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there l0l1324,

In my view, this is most probably a hardware related issue.
As Hellfire13 suggested, you need to attach the drive to another system in order to see if it is dead or not.
In case the drive doesn't appear over there, you can:
- Contact a data recovery company if you need the data.
- RMA the drive if it is under warranty.

In case the drive is recognized over there, but it is not recognized by your laptop(even in BIOS), then there's a chance that there is something wrong with your laptop.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution