Secondary hard drive does not format

cm60

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hello Everyone!

My secondary hard drive is corrupted and I can't access it. What happened was that my brother was using my computer and when he was done he went to shut it down. The shut down screen was up with the loader saying it was shutting down but after about 4 minutes my brother just pushed the button to turn the computer off instead of waiting. Now one of my hard drives shows up under " My Computers" but it does not allow me to access it. It does not show how much free space or capacity it has. I made sure all of the wires were plugged in correctly and they were in and it is still not letting me access it. I decided that I don't really care what is on it and I want to format it.

My primary hard drive (Local Disk G) has a windows 7 64 bit system on it and my secondary hard drive ( Local Disk C ) has windows 32 bit. When I try to format it from my desktop it says "windows was unable to complete the format" so then I try to format it from safe mode with command prompt and it says "system partition is not allowed to be formatted". I don't use my 32 bit system; I only use it as a backup in case my 64 bit doesn't work. I don't want my 32 bit system anymore but I can't format it. I've tried to boot from a few CD's to see if I can format it but that does not work either.

I don't think there is any physical problem with the hard drive since it is only a few months old but I've tried every way to erase all the memory from it but nothing works. As for my primary hard drive ( Local Disk G), I can access all of my files but it is fairly slow( icons and folders take longer to load). I expect it to go back to normal once the corrupted hard drive is formatted. Another problem is that i cannot go into sleep mode anymore. Every time I go to sleep mode it goes to power save and my monitor begins to shut down then it comes back to the desktop and doesn't go to sleep mode. Is there something wrong with my whole computer since it was not shut down properly? Is there a way to fix it? I'm not looking to recover my files, I want it gone.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
In the Start menu right-click 'Computer' and select 'manage'. From that you can select the storage subsection and see the state of your drives. You should be able to do what you want from there.

if not,

Remove your primary drive (unplug data and power) then boot your computer from a windows installation disc and reinstall windows 32bit on the secondary drive. You will have the option to adjust partitions and format during that process.

Q