Secondary Harddrive question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

When you install something, choose "Custom" or "Advanced". That will allow you to choose where to install it.

LeetLawrence

Honorable
May 29, 2013
P.S: Back up your registry before doing this... Do so by opening regedit (mentionned below) and clicking File > Export > Save. That will save you in case of failiure :)

Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now look in the right pane. Change "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesPath", "ProgramW6432Dir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)". If your secondary drive letter is D:\, then change them to "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files" and "D:\Program Files (x86)", in that order that I just mentionned. You should be good to go from here.

MODERATOR EDIT:
Please do not do this. This will almost certainly mess up your whole system. Multiple just in here have completely scred up their OS install, requiring a full wipe and reinstall.
As below, there is never a reason to try to force your applications to always install elsewhere.

Again - DO NOT DO THIS

rrballer

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I see two of each and one set are common files and the others aren't which ones?

USAFRet

Titan

When you install something, choose "Custom" or "Advanced". That will allow you to choose where to install it.

Solution

rrballer

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Things like Anti-Virus's for firefox? it forces me to install on first C. I have no options to change

USAFRet

Titan

Some things should be left on the C.

LeetLawrence

Honorable
May 29, 2013

If he's like me he probably has a relatively small SSD boot drive paired with a mass storage HDD. So he wants to: A) Redirect his downloads to his mass storage and B) Change his download folder to his HDD

To the O.P: As USAFRet said, keep key programs (antivirus, browser, etc.) on your boot drive. That means faster load times and no lag in everyday tasks when, for example, scanning the HDD. Many other examples can apply.

AlpineKid

Honorable
May 10, 2013

kinggrove

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I tried this but it didn't work and now I can't open regedit to restore it. I can't open a lot of things actually. PLEASE HELP

USAFRet

Titan

Please start a new thread on your issue.
But there is ZERO need to do any regedit junk.

kinggrove

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I started a new thread. maybe you could help me there?

tfitch11

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Yep dont change your registry. I was EXTREMELY lucky that I was able to fix what I did . So just right click on your destination folders, click on properties, then location.. Change C: to D:... VOILA!

Fabio_V

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Here’s a different procedure that worked perfectly for me.

Create a *.bat file in the same folder of your *.exe installation file.
Edit the *.bat file with the following content:

install_file_name.exe TARGETDIR/INSTALLDIR=”E:\Program Files\folder_name”

I’m not a computer expert… don’t know if it will work for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.