(secondary) HDD 'at risk' apparently...

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
So in my recent (and first) build I have installed an SSD as the primary disk and a HDD for storage.
The HDD is 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB.
It is connected to a SATA 3 port on my motherboard via a SATA 3 cable.

The problem I am experiencing is that I am constantly getting a message saying that the Hard Drive is 'at risk' of failing.
The Intel Rapid Storage Tech program gives me the option to 'reset disk to normal', doing this clears the error and presents the disk as being fine. However after a short amount of time, the error will pop up again. I haven't stored anything on the HDD yet and haven't used it at all.

Can anyone tell me if this disk will be ok to use? And can I remedy this constant error?
Also, if I manage to stop this, are there any steps I should take to set this up as my secondary storage disk? Or can anyone link me to a reputable guide?

Thanks in advance!

*You can see the rest of my build on my profile

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Ok, used the program there. Here are the results I got:

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 1 Raw Read Error Rate, Errors occurred while reading raw data from a disk. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
137 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
Replace hard disk immediately.

Doesn't look good... :(

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah I don't have a clue... All the power/data cables should be functioning properly. I'm really not sure what the issue is.

Edit: Just to cut the crap, I can still return this item. Should I? I kind of need the use of another storage disk within the next few days and I could simply purchase another one within that time. Errors like this shouldn't happen right?

Also, in the HDD test, power on time was listed as 404 days! I've only had it installed for around 5! Could this mean something else, or is this a genuine figure? My SSD came up as 3 days which is accurate by my estimate. 404 days is ridiculous, I was under the impression that this item was new...

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Are you asking what the procedure is? Or suggesting to just return it? That's pretty vague...

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Why didn't you just say that then?
I've been waiting for someone to provide helpful advice as to whether or not the disk can be used, or to suggest what the possible causes of the error could be. What I don't need is your sarcasm and condescending manner.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Whoa! It seems someone is cranky today. Sarcasm? Do you need everything spoon-fed to you too?

If you come to a forum asking for help and being all cranky NOBODY is gonna answer you. NOBODY but me took the time to try and help you out and this is how you come at me? Check who is the ONLY ONE trying to help you! Get a clue!

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks to Dexter and mouse who gave me a sound bit of advice, without any unnecessary attitude. This is a nice way to help people on forums.
I may be new to this forum, but I've been on many others and have seen plenty of posters like consolegamer
I don't need things spoonfed to me, but by his apparent surprise, it would appear that unfortunately - he does. So take a seat and we'll go through his posts in a calm manner...

This was sarcasm. I decided to overlook it when I read his post because I needed help with the problem, not someone trying to get an ego boost.
Of course such issues can happen, but they are unlikely, especially in the case of brand new cables. Either way, consolegamer's post is vague and unhelpful.

This was unnecessary and once again vague. Why could he not just say something along the lines of "I reckon your best bet is to get it replaced." before perhaps continuing to reason why the disk would not be salvageable? "RMA?" by itself doesn't even make sense as a post. With this, he seems to want to infer that it should have been obvious to me that I should go for a refund and it was stupid to even ask for assistance with this in the first place. What a clever guy, eh?

Again with the sarcasm. Of course I'm not going to keep a useless disk, however we have not yet confirmed that it is useless, I have only received warnings of failure, not a total statement that the disk does not work.
Once again, consolegamer sacrifices a chance to be helpful for an attempt to look smart.

What a great example to us all. Great job consolegamer... great job.

Apologies to everyone else.

Now... I have confirmed already that the cables are not the problem. I just tried swapping them again there mouse to clarify. Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll check out HDtunes now.

rdc85

Honorable
Sound like broken hardrive for me..

since it's seagate DL seatools and rund disk check from seatools..

If there is an error then u are qualified for RMA if it still under warranty (they use seatools for preeliminary test)

changing sata/power cables or sata port in mobo is a good idea, see if it fix the problems

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I'm starting to think the same. I'll try seatools and then I think it's time to send it back. Already tried different cables/ports. Cheers.

Edit: Ok it's failed the seatools test as well. Looks like I'm gonna send it back. Thanks for all the help guys.
And consolegamer; you were outstanding.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
People communicate with many different approaches and the same can be said about the one receiving the message on how one decides to interpret what's been communicating to you. If you don't want to encounter someone who communicates in a way you don't like then that's your problem. The only one who has had a problem with me is you so it makes me think about those many other forums you have been to that now you are here. *seats* Let's go through the post and your vendetta, indeed!

This was sarcasm. I decided to overlook it when I read his post because I needed help with the problem, not someone trying to get an ego boost.
Of course such issues can happen, but they are unlikely, especially in the case of brand new cables. Either way, consolegamer's post is vague and unhelpful.
You failed to get what I was saying just as you failed in pointing out about me getting an ego boost. A childish remark I might add.

This was unnecessary and once again vague. Why could he not just say something along the lines of "I reckon your best bet is to get it replaced." before perhaps continuing to reason why the disk would not be salvageable? "RMA?" by itself doesn't even make sense as a post. With this, he seems to want to infer that it should have been obvious to me that I should go for a refund and it was stupid to even ask for assistance with this in the first place. What a clever guy, eh?
Here you fail again to get the very simplistic message and blatantly obvious post. RMA followed by a question mark is an obvious thing to figure out and the funny thing is that you did get what I was communicating to you but then you somehow felt I was being rude and treating you like a stupid person when it was never the case.

It was your own ego that acknowledge your lack of knowledge and that make you feel stupid and because you seem to be one of those people who are never wrong you blame it on someone else like you may always do. By the data provided by you I deduce the drive is bad and needs to be replaced so I tried to make it known as fast as possible so no one loses time but it seems you want to spend your time on a vendetta against me.

Again with the sarcasm. Of course I'm not going to keep a useless disk, however we have not yet confirmed that it is useless, I have only received warnings of failure, not a total statement that the disk does not work.
Once again, consolegamer sacrifices a chance to be helpful for an attempt to look smart.
Even the software told you to replace the disk immediately

What a great example to us all. Great job consolegamer... great job.
Oh the irony... Melodramatic much? Remember what I was saying on how people have different approaches to communicate? Here you try to be the smart one when I'm down all this while trying to preach how to be a good forum dweller.

Apologies to everyone else.
Not to me right? Yeah, you're the epitome of a perfect forum man.

I just tried to help you.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Alright, I'm not going to go through another bunch of quotes again. If I didn't get what you were saying, you didn't explain it well enough. Perhaps I am just plain stupid not to understand your method of communication, but then again, I could understand everyone else just fine. You were very short with your answers, didn't offer explanation and yes, you did make the thread seem irrelevant, which is more than I can say for it now.

With the RMA? post; no it is not obvious what you meant. In the previous post I asked if people thought I should try and get a refund, you replied to this with a question; RMA? That doesn't make sense and is not helpful.
Of course people communicate in different ways but you were just being unhelpful and condescending. I'd rather hear something of use that you had to say rather than the bland comments you made to me.

If you want my opinion theconsolegamer, you were a bit vague and added very little sustinance to this thread, not even a suggestions out of "just RMA it". Nothing to even remotely help diagnose the problem at hand or if its salvageable.

Though dime did fire off a bit prematurely. Either way both of you could have been more professional. If you are satisfied with our help dime hit best answer and a mod should come along and close this thread fairly soon. Rather not start a flame war.

Just my 2c

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
You understood me just fine, you just were too annoyed on how I communicate.

With the RMA? post; no it is not obvious what you meant. In the previous post I asked if people thought I should try and get a refund, you replied to this with a question; RMA? That doesn't make sense and is not helpful.
Of course people communicate in different ways but you were just being unhelpful and condescending. I'd rather hear something of use that you had to say rather than the bland comments you made to me.
It was obvious because you understood what I told you when you mentioned about the procedure of it. About the refund thing, you posted that as an edit after I posted my thing. I could of communicate better but I was in a rush and I wanted to help you. You're not paying me for this so you should be patient because even if you were paying you have to wait and be patient or are you one of those that keep harassing and calling companies all day and let not them work? You rather have help from someone else; good, I rather help someone else.

@mouse24

I know but because he said he's drive was new and didn't even had anything on it so I though then why bother, just RMA the thing.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I've got my answer now and I don't want to go into something over nothing consolegamer, I'd rather go do something else. We were both a little out of line as mouse says. Let's not start flaming for the sake of it.

Unfortunately I started the thread as a discussion, quick edit doesn't let you change that and long edit can but won't allow the change to be submitted it seems. So unless it's a question, I cannot select a best answer.

rdc85

Honorable
Well I'm do not know what the RMA stands for at first here.... :D

well, we need to cool down and laugh at this issue away...

@dissociate u means the HDD issue, yeah his drive broke new drive is needed or send it to repair (Claim the warranty)