secondary laptop 2.5 inch HDD connected to optical drive tray via caddy is causing boot process to be stuck

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I got a Seagate 2.5 inch drive connected to my laptop using one of those HDD caddies that you connect in place of optical drives. having that HDD mounted in Windows however causes some weird problems. first of them is having my Windows booting process stuck completely. I can still access bios and no operating systems are installed on that HDD it's totally white.
after managing to boot into windows by booting up a fedora 28 live USB and formatting the HDD into a filesystem that's not mountable by Windows. I try to reformat it to NTFS using disk management (and sometimes using easeus partition manager) but the process would take a long time than usual with quick format enabled. and sometimes both tools return failure while trying to format. a trick that would let me boot is removing the HDD caddy while booting then reinserting it back it unfortunately it would not work here because my UEFI has got no options to let me enable SATA hot plugging. it lacks options for AHCI/IDE mode stuff as well.

after managing to mount it. it starts doing weird stuff. one of them is having 100% utilization rate with absolutely 0KBs read and 0KBs write while trying to just access it. trying to move anything to/from it will cause that 100% utilization thing again and write speeds are too low that they are measured in Bytes and KBytes. however after doing some tests with the live Linux USB I get around 75MBs write speeds (sample sizes range between 5MBs and 40MBs) and it would not cause its booting process to be stuck.
crystaldiskinfo does not show any S.M.A.R.T related issues.

one last thing. this HDD used to by my laptop's main HDD before getting an SSD but it SUCKED . my laptop when booted with ubuntu would slow down when my memory is nearly full and it starts writing stuff into swap and it SUCKED TERIBBLY when booted with Windows (it would boot, but the experience after then was sucky, nearly unusable), WOW JUST WOW. How had this thing make it out of a factory?
anyways here are my questions:
1- Why does it suck when I'm booting with Windows but not with my fedora 28 live usb?
2- Is that HDD failing?

Solution
Just because its 2 months out of warranty doesn't mean it can't be fixed under warranty.

Emailing the appropriate people and being sincere and disappointed as well as upset, in an email to the company can do great things. I pointed out once about how long should it last, just to the warranty and then throw in the bin and things like that, and I got a replacement on my defective device which was 2-3 months outside of warranty.

As for why does windows do what windows does? No idea - it's always a pain in the arse
If the HDD is running at 100% but no data, that normally means the HDD is about to die.
You should try and plug it into a working computer and run Hard Disk Sentinel which will tell you how much life is expected in that hdd and all the problems it has.
That is where I think your problem is!

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

But why does Windows start this booting drama when it tries booting with that HDD installed with a mountable FS (NTFS), while Fedora can run just fine?
too bad it started messing up just after the warranty had passed by 2 months

Just because its 2 months out of warranty doesn't mean it can't be fixed under warranty.

Emailing the appropriate people and being sincere and disappointed as well as upset, in an email to the company can do great things. I pointed out once about how long should it last, just to the warranty and then throw in the bin and things like that, and I got a replacement on my defective device which was 2-3 months outside of warranty.

As for why does windows do what windows does? No idea - it's always a pain in the arse

Solution

TRENDING THREADS