Question Secondary monitor on laptop

Oct 20, 2019
An ambiguous question, I know, here's what I mean.

I'm planning on buying an E590 lenovo laptop as a gift for a friend who works in stock trading and I'm faced with a couple of choices. I either get 16 GB or 32 GB RAM, and I either buy a lenovo monitor to accompany the laptop or a standalone projector (extra screen space I guess). The laptop has a 2GB AMD RX550X GPU.

I've heard people who work in such fields need like really capable setups and so, my questions are, would having more RAM be beneficial to the monitor's/projector's performance? And should I get her a monitor or a projector(refresh time?)? Does connecting a second monitor or a projector as a peripheral display require some upgrades?

My budget is no more than 1400 bucks, sorry for the long ass description.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Not really, unless your friend who is in the exchange deals with app's that draw in a lot of ram. The discrete GPU you have bundled in the laptop should be your primary concern with rams being your secondary concern if you want to hook the laptop up to multiple displays.

Speaking of which, I've built a system with 4 monitors and have seen some setups with 6 or more displays. how many displays will your friend be working with?

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for your reply, Lutfij. I don't really know what number would suit her best, but my budget allows me to really only buy a single good laptop and the extra screen, if that monitor/projector is of good quality. So for now, I'm sticking to a single extra screen solution.

I'll try to and hopefully find some adequately priced laptop with a better GPU..

TRENDING THREADS