Question Secondary monitor randomly switches off sometimes and repeatedly flashes "power saving mode" on sleep

jakub.dubaj

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
I've been struggling with a secondary monitor for a good while now, still haven't been able to find a solution. As described in the title, the monitor switches off during use, seemingly at random. This can lead to frustrating results, shoving all the windows to my primary monitor and sometimes crashing applications. It sometimes appears to happen during load but other times it happens when not much of anything at all is happening.

The monitor also flashes "power saving mode" until I manually turn it off every time I shut my computer off or the monitors are set to sleep by Windows.

The monitor in question is an old 4:3 LG that I got for free, it only has a VGA port for display which my card doesn't support (No DVI-I either) so I'm using an HDMI to VGA adapter. I suspect the adapter may be where the issue is coming from but I've been unable to confirm this, for the longest time I haven't been able to get my hands on a different adapter or VGA cable. Any ideas? Should I just buy a different adapter?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS