[SOLVED] Secondary router configuration for using as a WIFI extender ?

kazica

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
My main router IP address is 192.168.100.1. And secondary router address is 192.168.1.1. what should be the IP address of the secondary router so that it can be configured as a wifi extender. I have changed it to 192.168.1.2 but it didn't work. Any suggestions. Main router is Huwaei HG 8245H and the secondary router (Extender ) is Digicom DG-ZA204M.

Solution
So the correct answer is a IP address that is in the subnet of the main router but not included in the DHCP range. You would have to check the DHCP on the main router. You can likely use 192.168.100.250 until you figure out the correct one. Most device give out DHCP addresses from the bottom and using a high one you likely would not get a duplicate.

What do you mean "extender". You can likely hook that router up as a AP connected to the main router via ethernet. If you intend to connect the secondary router to the main router via wifi it is much more complex. The secondary router would actually have to have a feature that allows this. That is not a common router and I can't find the manual easily. You need to read...
So the correct answer is a IP address that is in the subnet of the main router but not included in the DHCP range. You would have to check the DHCP on the main router. You can likely use 192.168.100.250 until you figure out the correct one. Most device give out DHCP addresses from the bottom and using a high one you likely would not get a duplicate.

What do you mean "extender". You can likely hook that router up as a AP connected to the main router via ethernet. If you intend to connect the secondary router to the main router via wifi it is much more complex. The secondary router would actually have to have a feature that allows this. That is not a common router and I can't find the manual easily. You need to read the manual and see if it has a repeater or clinet-bridge feature if you intend to connect via wifi.

Solution