News Secret Crypto Mine in School Crawl Space Used $17,500 in Electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
The irony is if he would have put them out in the open in a normal looking PC case that matches other computers in the school. He probably would have never been caught.
No... he was burning through $2000 in electricity per month. That was not a small mining set-up. Your talking probably close to 40, 3080s worth of draw. The heat alone would have been hefty.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
No... he was burning through $2000 in electricity per month. That was not a small mining set-up. Your talking probably close to 40, 3080s worth of draw. The heat alone would have been hefty.
A proper solution would be hiding these 3080's hidden inside a compartment in the Heating system of the school.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
he was burned by his own greed. should have kept it minimal. 2 or 3 PCs, each with 4 gpus on watercooling would mine plenty. small footprint, less suspicious for the unaware people. Did the story sayed if he mined bitcoin ? would be funny if he installed racks of ASICS in the basement

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
And still the power consumption increase would have been seen.
These weren't found by the excess power consumption. If the school didn't notice that after 8 months, they likely never would. But the idea of placing 30+ already-hot computers in a "heating system" is of course absurd.

My only question is this -- why did the US Coast Guard investigate this crime?

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I got stuck on the 3 month investigation involving the coast guard, DHS, and various city personnel which likely cost taxpayers an order of magnitude more than the original $17k theft.

Reactions: TheOtherOne
D

Deleted member 14196

Well, I hope they can at least recover some of that

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
I got stuck on the 3 month investigation involving the coast guard, DHS, and various city personnel which likely cost taxpayers an order of magnitude more than the original $17k theft.
How else would they justify the defense budget of over $1.90 Trillions 😮(and increasing each year!)? 🤔

USAFRet

Titan
How else would they justify the defense budget of over $1.90 Trillions 😮(and increasing each year!)? 🤔
Of course.
A Coast Guard contingent, asked to do exactly what they are paid to do.

Of course, we could disband that unit, and let the good people of Cohasset do all that investigation all on their own.
Its not like they found a disused iPod or anything.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
No amount of emojies will turn that fake figure into reality. The US defense budget for FY2022 was $715B.

Of course. A Coast Guard contingent, asked to do exactly what they are paid to do.
I could ask the Navy's NCIS to investigate who knocked over my trash cans last night. After all, that's what they're paid to do. And one of those cans is definitely going to have to be replaced now.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Well, no...
Yes.

"What is the US defense budget for 2021? The budget for a request for the fiscal year 2022 rose to $722 billion, which earns a defense budget increase of $17 billion from the 2021 fiscal year ... "

U.S. Defense Budget 2022: How much does the United States spend on its Defense budget? (executivegov.com)

Also, from the US Congression Budget Office website:

"Costs of the Administration’s 2022 Defense Budget...The Administration’s 2022 budget request calls for $715 billion in funding for DoD. In real terms—that is, with adjustments to remove the effects of inflation—the funding request is 1.5 percent less than the total amount provided for 2021 and 1.0 percent less than the amount that would have been requested for 2022 under the Trump Administration’s final (2021) FYDP.1"

Long-Term Costs of the Administration’s 2022 Defense Budget | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov)

And from defense.gov:

"The Biden-Harris Administration today submitted to Congress the President’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 Budget request of $752.9 billion for national defense, $715 billion of which is for the Department of Defense (DOD). "

The Department of Defense Releases the President’s Fiscal Year 2022 Defense Budget > U.S. Department of Defense > Release

The higher figure of $1.19T your link cites also includes mandatory (non-discretionary) obligations for federal pensions and benefits. That's not considered "defense" spending ... and even if it were, it's still far short of the $1.9T the OP claimed.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
No amount of emojies will turn that fake figure into reality. The US defense budget for FY2022 was $715B.

I could ask the Navy's NCIS to investigate who knocked over my trash cans last night. After all, that's what they're paid to do. And one of those cans is definitely going to have to be replaced now.
You mistook Military budget with the whole Defense budget. Do another search! ¯\(ツ)

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
You mistook Military budget with the whole Defense budget.
No, no I didn't. The figure is correct; the generic term "military budget" indicates funding for the Department of Defense. The mistake made was in confusing discretionary spending versus mandatory commitments ... but not even that wiggling will get us anywhere near the OP's "1.9 trillions" figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.