[SOLVED] Secure Erase M.2 SSD on Lenovo IdeaPad L340-17IRH Gaming

ElFred

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I want to sell the mentioned laptop, but before I do I would wipe its original SSD drive clean and reinstall Windows on it.

I found that some Lenovo (including IdeaPad) laptops have a Secure Erase option in the UEFI settings, but this specific model does not seem to contain that option. At least after extensively going through the settings, I could not find any option for it. The only SSD-related option was to set a password for the hard drive, but that is not what I need.

Would anyone have an idea where this option would be hidden for the L340? Or are there alternatives to clean this drive?

I tried upgrading the BIOS, in the hope an upgraded version would contain the option, but mine is up-to-date already...

ElFred

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
@SkyNetRising The SSD is a SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L2, but Samsung's support pages haven't been any help. I tried their "Magician" tool, but that one says the drive is not supported. Hence I was looking for the option in the BIOS / UEFI, also with no luck.

Reactions: ElFred

ElFred

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Yes, it's horribly hard to find free alternatives that actually work, so I think I will purchase the Parted Magic software to do the trick. I am disappointed the UEFI does not support Secure Erase for this model, as may other Lenovo models have the option :(