Secure erase SSD

Oct 8, 2018
Hi all,

I have 10 laptops with samsung ssd´s installed. I want to do a secure erase. I have tried the following

1. Checked wipe disk option in bios : Not available for dell m4700 series laptop even though i have upgraded the firmware

2. Tried to install ubuntu and issue hdparm command followed the below article

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

The SSD is not recognized when i run this command

I wanted to try to remove the ssd and put in a ssd case and connect as a USB Storage and then try to wipe the disk via samsung software or anyother.

Please advise some alternative if anyone has tried to remove SSD and then erase them.

Appreciate your response.
p4ever

Install samsung software. They have a secure erase software that you can use. Only issue is that I think you have to boot it up with the drive installed, then unplug the drive when it ask, plug it back in, and restart the software.

Otherwise look up Boot n Nuke

Oct 8, 2018

Hi i tried that but the software doesnt detect the SSD as the laptop has the SSD as primary HDD.

Im planning to remove the ssd and install it in a case and then connect it as external USB HDD and then try with samsung magician.

Oct 8, 2018

Hi thanks for the response.
I didnt try boot and nuke.

I will try this.

It will work for SSD´s right and its free?

Yes it is free and easy to use. I use to use it but bought Active Kill Disk instead as it runs in windows.

I Have a bench PC with 3 SATA Cards in it each capable of 8 Drives each for when i do wiping. (I tend to let my pile build up to 15+ drives then wipe them all at once) Take 3 Power Supplies to power that many drives lol

Oct 8, 2018

Hi i checked teh website its not free at all. Blancco drive eraser is required and thats not free.

Well that shows how long it has been since I have used DBAN. No SSD's. I'll have to remember that going forward lol.