Question Securing the network.

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Hey guy, so my friend who is a comp sci major send me a link from YouTube through Snapchat. It was so random but I opened it. After a few mins, he asked if I'm using an LG v20, on Xfinity and a couple of other questions. I'm curious to know how he got all this information and is my network vulnerable to hackers? I have a couple of passwords saved on the web browser. What are some ways to be safe while using the web?

Your browser tell end sites all kinds of things about your system. It will give os levels and even screen resolutions. If he had something intercept he would get this along with your IP address.

There are browsers add ons for some browsers that manipulate the information sent. You need to use vpn to hide your IP address.

Still this is not really considered a security issue since it only gets what your browser provides. This is why there are all the restrictions on things like cookies in most browsers.

albygeo3

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Your browser tell end sites all kinds of things about your system. It will give os levels and even screen resolutions. If he had something intercept he would get this along with your IP address.

There are browsers add ons for some browsers that manipulate the information sent. You need to use vpn to hide your IP address.

Still this is not really considered a security issue since it only gets what your browser provides. This is why there are all the restrictions on things like cookies in most browsers.
He told my friend that he could hack his wifi and turn it off, he even made a call from my friend's number to one of my other friend when he didn't have service. How is that?