Security Alert: Mozilla Recommends Downgrade from FF16

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
My firefox just updated itself to vers 16 WHILE READING THIS ARTICLE. You would think they would have the common decency to retract the autoupdate before/at the same time as issuing this.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Funny. Was looking for their older FF releases the other day (they used to host all of them somewhere) and the download page said something to the effect of "our latest releases are the most secure."

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
so Android version huh? https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2012/10/10/security-vulnerability-in-firefox-16/

does this mean the same for desktops?

G

You are the one who set the update option to automatically. Just set it to the middle option so it doesn't install automatically.

G

I will just wait. I have noscript, ghostery, request policy, https everywhere, wot, flashblock, better privacy, and adblock addons working together. I think that is enough for the moment, just don't need to visit suspicious sites.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]yarmock[/nom]You are the one who set the update option to automatically. Just set it to the middle option so it doesn't install automatically.[/citation]

Yea yea I know. But still, they could have turned it off for us common people.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
yay for being lazy...

I was deciding whether to downgrade but the problem didn't sound too bad...

but it didn't do auto update...I had to check update myself...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]A minor black-eye for FF. Let's do better next time, Mozilla. Thanks.[/citation]

Actually, I don't agree. I think it shows a lot of character to step up and claim responsibility and do so quickly AND pump out the fix quickly as well. They could have done like 'the others' and just brushed it under the rug and did a sly update and denied any problems. Kudos to them for stepping up! is what I say.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I personally use Waterfox rather than firefox. (It is still on version 15 and unaffected.) I don't know why more people don't switch....

G

Google flights doesn't work properly with 16.01. Proper functioning available with 15.01. 16.01 not ready for prime time.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Hmm I still got Firefox 3.X not sure what it was before they screwed with the interface and started adopting Chromes "fast" releases or counting fast which is how I like to look at it. Seemed like firefox slowly lost their way and started adopting their competitors styles so I switched to chrome, it seemed like the better of the two between that and IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.