Security certificate issues

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I installed a new copy (Purchased at local micro center) of 8.1 OS on my new build last night. I then installed Avast free immediately. Following that I opened IE, switched homepage on IE to https://www.yahoo.com/, and everything thing was working fine. I could go to any web page.

I decided to check windows update (accidentally ran into it), and there were 90 (important) updates. I would have checked this earlier, but I'm unfamiliar with 8.1 (XP user) and the express install of 8.1 said it would install all important/recommended updates. Thinking about it now, I had to install LAN driver from Gigabyte CD to get internet working, so there's no way 8.1 could have updated itself during installation.

Anyways, I installed all (important) updates. Now when I open internet (IE), I get this message;

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage. (Recommended)

Continue to this website (not recommended).

It did not happen when coming here surprisingly, because it happens when going to any microsoft page or any other websites I've tried.

Solution
did you install any other software?

read this last night regarding security certificates

http://www.howtogeek.com/210265/download.com-and-others-bundle-superfish-style-https-breaking-adware/

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Date/Time/Time Zone are correct. I just noticed that http://www.lotterypost.com does not do this, and toms hardware doesn't give me that message either. It seems to be a hit or miss (mostly miss) issue.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015

I have only installed 8.1 OS and Avast free. This was the first time I installed Avast (Formerly AVG user). I changed because of issues I started having with AVG on old computer. Plus, a lot of people on here like Avast.

I went to Avast site, and they unfortunately redirected me to download Avast free from Cnet (I hate Cnet because they sometimes bundle things in).

When installing Avast, I unchecked (opted out of) additional software. It was google related stuff (Chrome, etc.) I plan to install chrome anyways, but will do it myself once everything is working (and will do it from google chrome site).

After opting out of that, I did custom install. I don't want to pretend like I knew what I was doing, but I deselected 1 item (some kind of remote assistance thing). I was unsure what everything else was, so I left it alone, including their GrimeFighter thing (Part of the Avast system scan it appears, as it shows results when running their smart scan).

I will say that after installing Avast everything was working fine. After installing (important) windows updates, and running another smart scan is when my problems started.

Maybe I should;

1. Uninstall Avast and go with AVG again? I really didn't like what Avast was telling me about data collection anyways. It was plastered in big writing on it's own screen, so that you could not miss it. I was tempted to not install it. But I figured this is a new rig with no personal info on it, so why not try it. Plus they said you can opt out of data collection in settings after install. Of course now, I'm wishing I had just gone with AVG from the get go.

2. There are also 13 (optional) windows updates. 2 are intel (driver) related, 11 are windows. From my experience with XP, I know that sometimes driver related updates can mess computer up (conflicts, etc.). I could not tell what the 11 (optional) windows updates were because I get the security certificate message when trying to get more info. Maybe I should install all of these, including 2 driver updates?

I will go read more thoroughly at that link you posted while waiting for responses.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015

I just finished reading that, and checking certificates. That is scary stuff, fortunately there was none of those listed hijackers or whatever in my certificates. I followed their instructions. Whether there is something else in there causing my problem I have no idea.

YTD is now bundling hijacker software? While the article says you can opt out of it, I'm not even going to try installing that thing on my new rig. Bummer.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I don't know what the deal was. I had to leave right after talking to you guys. Now I come home, boot up PC, and everything is working fine.

I'm still going to dump Avast and go back to AVG. I'm unsure what people like about it so much. It has huge red flags when it comes to data collection/sharing. It is overly complicated for a new user to know what is safe/unsafe to leave selected during custom install. Grimefighter only works so much without upgrading to Avast's paid version. I see nothing special about it at all. How can this thing be #1? By the way, I don't need answer, just scratching my head is all.

Thanks everyone for your help.