Question Security on shared Virgin Broadband

Jun 7, 2022
Hi there,

We have just got hardwired broadband in the studios where I rent a space. Virgin business broadband with ethernet cables running to each separate studio.

I have several PCs so have my own network in my room, just a basic switch. I have connected the Virgin Hub into a port on the switch. All my PCs now have internet and can see each other.

I want to secure my network from other people in other studios though as we are all connected to the same Virgin Hub.

Do I need a switch with a firewall? If so please could you recommend a product with 8 ports. I would like my own wifi network behind the firewall if that's achievable.

Cheers!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

We have just got hardwired broadband in the studios where I rent a space. Virgin business broadband with ethernet cables running to each separate studio.

I have several PCs so have my own network in my room, just a basic switch which I have connected to the broadband port ... just an ethernet cable into a port on the switch. All my PCs have internet and can see each other.

I want to secure my network from other people in other studios though as we are all connected to the same Virgin Hub.

Do I need a switch with a firewall? If so please could you recommend a product with 8 ports. I would like my own wifi network behind the firewall if that's achievable.

Cheers!
"A switch with a firewall" is a router. It is just a question if you need a business class router or if a home router will be sufficient.
Do you have fixed IPs from Virgin? Do you us a VPN? What about WIFI ?

Jun 7, 2022
Hi, thanks for the speedy response! Aha (re router) ... that makes sense!

Home router probably sufficient.
No to VPN.
Yes, I would like my own wifi network behind my firewall.

Don't know about fixed IPs ... not my Virgin account but can ask. So far, plug and play and it works without setting any IPs.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, thanks for the speedy response! Aha (re router) ... that makes sense!

Home router probably sufficient.
No to VPN.
Yes, I would like my own wifi network behind my firewall.

Don't know about fixed IPs ... not my Virgin account but can ask. So far, plug and play and it works without setting any IPs.
If you don't know about it, then you probably don't have it.
A home router with guest WIFI capability would be my recommendation. An Asus router that you can run Merlin -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ second source firmware would be my recommendation. An AX58U would be a good "midrange" router that should have support for a long time.

Jun 7, 2022
Brilliant, thanks so much!

One last question ... is it actually necessary or am I being paranoid? Without it, could people see my network/access my computers if they are connected to the Virgin Hub and will are firewall stop that?

TRENDING THREADS