Security Rollup Q299444i prevents "CyberLock"

We are using a third party enhanced security system (called CyberLock),
which uses a smart-card to provide the user's log-in credentials. The
system has been in use for some time and is stable. Currently the boxes are
still running good old NT 4 (Workstation) SP6a.

If I install the Q299444i security roll-up from Microsoft, CyberLock stops
working (previously valid smart cards are now reported as invalid) and I can
no longer log onto the box. All I know about CyberLock is that the company
who make it are (reputedly) no longer in business so the chances of any
support from that quarter seem remote.

With these security roll-ups, are the individual patches which comprise the
roll-up generally available separately? I had a troll round the Microsoft
web site but couldn't find the answer, but maybe that's just my
incompetence.

It may be that if I was able just to "cherry pick" the upgrades I actually
need I might manage to avoid whatever it is which is upsetting CyberLock.

Any bright ideas on how to progress this? Any cunning insights into what
aspects of security roll-up Q99444i might upset an enhanced log-on system?

Yours in desparation
Keith

"Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> wrote in

> With these security roll-ups, are the individual patches which
> comprise the roll-up generally available separately? I had a
> troll round the Microsoft web site but couldn't find the answer,
> but maybe that's just my incompetence.
>
> It may be that if I was able just to "cherry pick" the upgrades I
> actually need I might manage to avoid whatever it is which is
> upsetting CyberLock.
>
> Any bright ideas on how to progress this? Any cunning insights
> into what aspects of security roll-up Q99444i might upset an
> enhanced log-on system?

Have you tried "Windows Update Catalog?"

Go to <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com>
When the screen comes up, DON'T click on the "Scan for Updates"
instead, click on the "Windows Update Catalog" in the "See Also"
section in the left-hand pane. (If you don't see it, then click on
"Personalize Windows Update" instead and click the checkbox
beside "Display Link to the Windows Update Catalog" when the next
screen comes up, then "save settings").

Windows Update Catalog will let you pick whatever pieces you think you
need and download those individually.

HTH,
John

John Wunderlich <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in

> Have you tried "Windows Update Catalog?"

Hmmmm. I take that back. It seems that every version of Windows
except NT is supported there....

-- John

>>It seems that every version of Windows except NT is supported there....

Oh well, thanks for trying anyway
Keith