[SOLVED] Security task manager replacement?

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Ive been using security task manager for quite some time now. And I know for a fact that I have malware or some type of keylogger running in the background that bitdefender, malwarebytes, nor hitmanpro could detect. And I really dont want to pay 30 dollars to use security task manager to find it. And its a really outdated software anyways. So I was wondering if there is any more modern application just like it. Im sure there is, I just cant find one. If you guys know any, id grealy appeciate it if you let me know.

Solution
I guess I will take your advice, the smartest thing to do in my situation. Whats the best way for me to wipe you think? Cleanmgr, a disk wiping software, or just hitting the reset button in settings and selecting remove all files? Also, is there anything I should backup before I do a full wipe. Like maybe drivers or something, or is that too risky since they might be infected.
"reset" is NOT what you want.
Full wipe and reinstall.

Assuming you have access to a whole different, non-infected, system...

Download the drivers from the relevant manufacturers. You can't extract the currently installed drivers.
Save these to a USB stick.
Copy any personal files to a USB stick.

Create a Win 10 USB to install with...

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
  1. Full wipe and reinstall. Start over.
  2. The best AV or antimalware exists between your ears. Be cognizant of where you go and what you do, and the standard AV offerings are just fine.
I really want to avoid nuking my drives at all costs. Id hate to download all the drivers and software back. That will be an absolute nightmare.

USAFRet

Titan
I really want to avoid nuking my drives at all costs. Id hate to download all the drivers and software back. That will be an absolute nightmare.
Given a "known" malware or keylogger, that none of the normal tools can detect...that IS the solution.
May be painful, but there is no magic for this.

I certainly would never trust such a system.

As is typical, this is what a good backup routine is for.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
  1. Full wipe and reinstall. Start over.
  2. The best AV or antimalware exists between your ears. Be cognizant of where you go and what you do, and the standard AV offerings are just fine.
I guess I will take your advice, the smartest thing to do in my situation. Whats the best way for me to wipe you think? Cleanmgr, a disk wiping software, or just hitting the reset button in settings and selecting remove all files? Also, is there anything I should backup before I do a full wipe. Like maybe drivers or something, or is that too risky since they might be infected.

USAFRet

Titan
Full wipe and reinstall.

Download the drivers from the relevant manufacturers. You can't extract the currently installed drivers.

Create a Win 10 USB to install with.
Section II speaks to deleting all the existing partitions and starting with a completely blank drive.

Also, you absolutely need to change ALL your online passwords. Again, from a different, known clean, system.
The potential keylogger has compromised all of that.

Solution

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Full wipe and reinstall.

Section II speaks to deleting all the existing partitions and starting with a completely blank drive.

Also, you absolutely need to change ALL your online passwords. Again, from a different, known clean, system.
Okay, Is this all the information I need? If so, Ill be on my journey to fully wipe my pc. Any extra tid-bits you want to add in?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, I lost the disc for my windows 10 home that I have on this pc, and I probably cant get the product key anymore. But fortunately, I have a windows 10 Pro edition disc that I can use. Is this all the information I need? If so, Ill be on my journey to fully wipe my pc.
No, you cannot use that Win 10 Pro, unless you ALSO have a valid Win 10 Pro license key.

Installing Win 10 Home again, you do not need the license key. Already having WIn 10 Home, the system will activate itself when it goes online.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
No, you cannot use that Win 10 Pro, unless you ALSO have a valid Win 10 Pro license key.

Installing Win 10 Home again, you do not need the license key. Already having WIn 10 Home, the system will activate itself when it goes online.
oh okay. I think I do have the license key for the pro edition aswell, but i guess the home edition will be my backup. My question is. if your drives get completely wiped, how in gods name does it still know you have windows 10 home

USAFRet

Titan
oh okay. I think I do have the license key for the pro edition aswell, but i guess the home edition will be my backup. My question is. if your drives get completely wiped, how in gods name does it still know you have windows 10 home
The motherboard is the key component. The activation server farm knows the details of your system.

Reinstall on a drive, either the same or different drive, the motherboard and the rest of the components is still the same.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Full wipe and reinstall.

Just reinstalled following those steps on that forum. Selected windows 10 pro just to see what would happen lol. Nothing seemed wrong, i was in windows downloading aoftware and stuff. Then it was getting late so i went to sleep. Wake up and my pc wont even boot anymore. I hear the post beep sound coming from my headphones but my monitors fail to turn on.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Just reinstalled following those steps on that forum. Selected windows 10 pro just to see what would happen lol. Nothing seemed wrong, i was in windows downloading aoftware and stuff. Then it was getting late so i went to sleep. Wake up and my pc wont even boot anymore. I hear the post beep sound coming from my headphones but my monitors fail to turn on.
Got it working. Windows apparently doesnt like my main monitor ao im using my secondary one and it seems to be working

TRENDING THREADS