[SOLVED] Security wifi camera which doesn't need internet.

Donal1552

Prominent
Sep 17, 2020
Hi , I am in urgent need of wireless security camera which record video and simultaneously pass the video through wireless device or router and store the video in somewhere safe like pc or hardisk without need of internet. Most common wifi camera need internet and other cheap cameras store in sd card itself which can easily be compromised. I want that even cameras are stolen the recorded video should be safely stored somewhere else without the knowledge of stealers. Can you guys please recommend me something.

Solution
I use an Amcrest camera for simple in-house surveillance requirements on an ad hoc basis.

There are other camera products available and it is correct that some manufacturer's force you to use the internet to store and retrieve captured video. Or make doing otherwise very cumbersome at best.

Often the security camera documentation seems to imply the internet "requirement" as the only option available. However, closer reading and some googling can reveal otherwise. You do not need the internet in some cases. For the most part, many cameras have quite an array of options regarding motion detection, recording, storage, etc.. There are some security cameras that can be solely configured and managed in-house. Meaning within just...

Ralston18

Titan
I use an Amcrest camera for simple in-house surveillance requirements on an ad hoc basis.

There are other camera products available and it is correct that some manufacturer's force you to use the internet to store and retrieve captured video. Or make doing otherwise very cumbersome at best.

Often the security camera documentation seems to imply the internet "requirement" as the only option available. However, closer reading and some googling can reveal otherwise. You do not need the internet in some cases. For the most part, many cameras have quite an array of options regarding motion detection, recording, storage, etc.. There are some security cameras that can be solely configured and managed in-house. Meaning within just your network environment.

If you have a wireless security camera in mind download the user documentation for that camera or read the documentation online.

Check the security camera's hardware installation, the driver software, the supporting software application, and the manufacturer's website FAQs/ forum (if any).

Pay attention to both what is said and what is not said.

Do be aware that many wireless cameras still need a power source in the form of an electrical outlet. There are security camera's with rechargeable batteries as well but that may be problematic depending on how well and how long the battery is actually able to provide sufficient power. Consider the actual physical camera location and accessibility.

And be sure to purchase a camera rated for exterior/outside use. Pay close attention to what the security camera manufacturer considers "interior" and "exterior".

Just my immediate thoughts on the matter. Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions.

Solution

Fredvon4

Commendable
Oct 10, 2021
Wyze out door with battery $69 on Amazon--- battery life is long at lower SD resolution easy recharge via USB 5v
comes with external wifi extender plug in to AC for up to 4 cameras
Takes a user supplied 32GB micro SD cards, one for base, and one on cam, thus stolen cam , no sweat as all data is backed up & synced to base SD card
Smart phone interface with notifications
internet is ONLY needed for Smart phone monitoring for a subscription fee

https://smile.amazon.com/WYZE-Outdo...86V5H1YQ,B08F3CVP38&srpt=SECURITY_CAMERA&th=1

Many people use a small pc to store the data. You can look at software from blue iris. They support many cameras. Look at their lists. I use hikvission cameras but to get them cheap you must buy the grey market versions without warranty. Most cameras marketed to the more profession market do not store on the internet.

Since you have to provide power to the camera I would look at PoE cameras that way you can just run a ethernet cable to the camera and provide power and data at the same time. Wifi cameras can be easily jammed.

Donal1552

Prominent
Sep 17, 2020
Wyze out door with battery $69 on Amazon--- battery life is long at lower SD resolution easy recharge via USB 5v
comes with external wifi extender plug in to AC for up to 4 cameras
Takes a user supplied 32GB micro SD cards, one for base, and one on cam, thus stolen cam , no sweat as all data is backed up & synced to base SD card
Smart phone interface with notifications
internet is ONLY needed for Smart phone monitoring for a subscription fee

https://smile.amazon.com/WYZE-Outdoor-Starter-Wire-Free-Assistant/dp/B08FFJWQY1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3F9KIW4BEHOPN&keywords=wyze+cam+outdoor&qid=1636982518&qsid=135-7696182-3706130&sprefix=wyze+c,aps,776&sr=8-3&sres=B08FFJWQY1,B08R59YH7W,B09CKPM5RS,B07DGR98VQ,B09DRCFF81,B09HRMZZDZ,B07DG5KNKG,B0979D6HNQ,B08VHTVNDM,B08ZYD1JHR,B08CL1B2PM,B092KTX41F,B084TCTJH3,B09BQTSSRJ,B086V5H1YQ,B08F3CVP38&srpt=SECURITY_CAMERA&th=1

hi fred, i am not a fan of battery camera, it seems only for temporary use, unless its a phone or rc car, which always be in your hand or you use only for a while, as security camera will be 24X7 stuck on wall or uncreachable area , i am searching for which use electric power source

Donal1552

Prominent
Sep 17, 2020

Often the security camera documentation seems to imply the internet "requirement" as the only option available. However, closer reading and some googling can reveal otherwise. You do not need the internet in some cases. For the most part, many cameras have quite an array of options regarding motion detection, recording, storage, etc.. There are some security cameras that can be solely configured and managed in-house. Meaning within just your network environment.

If you have a wireless security camera in mind download the user documentation for that camera or read the documentation online.

Check the security camera's hardware installation, the driver software, the supporting software application, and the manufacturer's website FAQs/ forum (if any).

Pay attention to both what is said and what is not said.

Do be aware that many wireless cameras still need a power source in the form of an electrical outlet. There are security camera's with rechargeable batteries as well but that may be problematic depending on how well and how long the battery is actually able to provide sufficient power. Consider the actual physical camera location and accessibility.

And be sure to purchase a camera rated for exterior/outside use. Pay close attention to what the security camera manufacturer considers "interior" and "exterior".

Just my immediate thoughts on the matter. Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions.

hi ralston , can you recomend me a amcrest specific model , i just want two things while recording internet is not needed and it should be wireless , its ok if i need internet at first to update or download something not a big issue. but i dont need something which need internet 24X7.

Donal1552

Prominent
Sep 17, 2020
Many people use a small pc to store the data. You can look at software from blue iris. They support many cameras. Look at their lists. I use hikvission cameras but to get them cheap you must buy the grey market versions without warranty. Most cameras marketed to the more profession market do not store on the internet.

Since you have to provide power to the camera I would look at PoE cameras that way you can just run a ethernet cable to the camera and provide power and data at the same time. Wifi cameras can be easily jammed.

hi bill, if POE camera is connected to only ethernet cable through wifi router, if both camera and router is stolen . will ongoing recorded video be still saved somehwere else?. can you recommend me specific POE camera according to the need which i posted , doesnt matter if its cheap or expensive

Most times you record to some kind of pc that you put somewhere not obvious so it can't be stolen. You will find many cameras that only work with their own recording pc/box. The cameras might be cheaper but they make up for it in the cost of the recorder.

Depending on how many cameras you likely could use a old laptop. The key problem is running out of disk space when you are running a number of high definition cameras.

I would download software from blueiris and look at it has a 15 day trial. It has a massive amount of features.

I suspect you have just started looking at security cameras and it is much more complex than you think. There are 2 major things to start with. You have to know how how much resolution you want. Do you want 1080 or 4k cameras. Then you need to look at the lens used. You can buy al kinds of lens options that affect how zoomed in the image is. They even make cameras that have a motorized zoom so you can change it. You also need to consider how well the camera works at night. Almost all cameras work well in bright daylight. Finding ones that will work in complete darkness using only IR led to light it are a little more challenging.
This is why there are so many security cameras there are so many options.

I would not worry about theft of the camera too much. You can buy models that are resistant to vandals. Many have metal shells that you could hit with a baseball bat and not break it. They are secured to the house with screws that take time to get to so its not like someone can just grab it off the wall.

There are whole web sites devoted to the discussion of security cameras so it is not a simple question to recommend one. Look for IP cameras tends to get you a number of results. I use hikvison but there are other very good brands. You can go to their site but they have so many similar products it will make your head hurt.

Ralston18

Titan
hi ralston , can you recomend me a amcrest specific model , i just want two things while recording internet is not needed and it should be wireless , its ok if i need internet at first to update or download something not a big issue. but i dont need something which need internet 24X7.

The Amcrest camera that I purchased in August 2018 is Model IP2M-841B. PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) capable. Primary reason for the purchase was to do some testing and learning with a relatively inexpensive camera. Camera is indoor/interior rated which does not include an unheated garage. However, I am currently using the camera to view out of a garage window until temperatures drop to more constant frosts and freezing.

Image quality is very good even at night. Wireless PTZ can be iffy and sluggish depending (as can be expected) on where the camera is placed. The documentation is fair but working out the various access details/logins (user name, password) for wireless network, Amcrest Surveillance software, and the camera itself was a bit cumbersome at first. I set up a fixed IP address for the camera and kept careful notes regarding all logins and passwords.

I was able to view camera images on Window's PCs, an Apple iPad, and an Apple iPhone. I did not test any online storage.

However, it has been over two years since I purchased the camera. Look for a newer model - of any brand....

I am considering an outdoor camera version with a light to cover the driveway. TBD. Hoping for a sale price. May or may not be Amcrest but barring some other issue I have no problem staying with the brand.

Yes indeed: there are many choices and options. And others may provide additional suggestions and comments.

What I most recommend is that you go online and read all of the manufacturer documentation available with respect to any chosen camera brand and its' associated software.

Follow the installation and configuration instructions through as if you already own the camera and are trying to physically install it and configure for use. Likely to raise a few questions in your mind as you do so.

USAFRet

Titan
hi bill, if POE camera is connected to only ethernet cable through wifi router, if both camera and router is stolen . will ongoing recorded video be still saved somehwere else?. can you recommend me specific POE camera according to the need which i posted , doesnt matter if its cheap or expensive
I have 2x (soon to be 4x) Reolink cameras mounted.
They record directly to my NAS, but just as easily could go to a PC.

PoE, PTZ, excellent picture quality.
Recording 24/7 at max quality (2560x1920), about 43GB per day, per camera.

These specific ones:

Reolink has many others.

Fredvon4

Commendable
Oct 10, 2021
hi fred, i am not a fan of battery camera, it seems only for temporary use, unless its a phone or rc car, which always be in your hand or you use only for a while, as security camera will be 24X7 stuck on wall or unreachable area , i am searching for which use electric power source
Wyze also sales wireless cams that require 110v /5vdcvia USB dongle plugged in, they are much cheaper than the battery version

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wyze+c...&sprefix=wy,aps,284&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_2