[SOLVED] See AP clients from router and other AP's.

Oct 31, 2020
Hello I've got a TPLink VR600v router and a 2 x DLink DWL6600 access points (A1 and A2).
Looking at my routers client list through its Web interface (192.168.0.1), I cannot see the list of clients connected on both AP's.
Also if I connect to A1 with my laptop and do a network scan with "advanced ip scanner" software I can see the clients connected to the A1 and the TPLink but not AP2.

How can I make the AP's pass their list of clients back to the router so I can see all clients in my entire network by either using "advanced ip scanner" or looking at my routers client list?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Silhorn.

Solution
Hello I've got a TPLink VR600v router and a 2 x DLink DWL6600 access points (A1 and A2).
Looking at my routers client list through its Web interface (192.168.0.1), I cannot see the list of clients connected on both AP's.
Also if I connect to A1 with my laptop and do a network scan with "advanced ip scanner" software I can see the clients connected to the A1 and the TPLink but not AP2.

How can I make the AP's pass their list of clients back to the router so I can see all clients in my entire network by either using "advanced ip scanner" or looking at my routers client list?

Silhorn.
Looking at the D-Link page, the DWL6600 is designed to use a centralized controller. They also...

kanewolf

Titan

Silhorn.
Looking at the D-Link page, the DWL6600 is designed to use a centralized controller. They also have a mode called "clustering" which doesn't require the controller. It seems like that is what you would want. You may not have your configuration correct to enable this option.

Solution
It depends on where you are looking. The dhcp server would see all the clients on all the access points that have been given an IP.
Unless said APs work as they own routers, which is pretty consistent with the description given

You might have your access points set to either guest mode and/or using their own DHCP server.

Normally you're supposed to set the AP's to use the main router's DHCP, and if so then you should be able to see all the MAC's and IP's in the main router.

This is technically not correct as there is no 'dhcp relay' function in consumer routers. You simply disable the dhcp server, period. And then connect to the lan from the lan ports and everything should work.

Yes, if you want to get very technical. You're shutting off the DHCP on the AP and relying on using the DHCP in the main router to assign IP addresses. Maybe my language should have been clearer, but I wasn't thinking anything other than this or about any kind of "DHCP relay" function.

Yes, if you want to get very technical. You're shutting off the DHCP on the AP and relying on using the DHCP in the main router to assign IP addresses. Maybe my language should have been clearer, but I wasn't thinking anything other than this or about any kind of "DHCP relay" function.
I know you meant this, but for those that don't know the inner workings they might get confused. :)