[SOLVED] See apps running on another pc on the same network

ionutd2007

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I have 2 pcs connected to the same WiFi protected with WPA2.

Is it at all possible that an app running one pc can tell what apps are running on my other pc on the same network?

What if I
a) stream the desktop from one pc to the other
b) use remote access

Which of these is most secure? Or does it simply not matter?

Thank you so much.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
By "same network" you mean LAN? Asking since you now tossed a VPN into the mix.

Streaming a desktop is possible but it's just a view of what's happening and you are at the mercy of the other user for what you see with no way to control the desktop. You'd need to ask them open task manager or whatever you would deem sufficient to show you what's running .

A remote access solution will allow you to control the other PC but when you do the other user would need to relinquish control while you poked around to see what is running. I've used TeamViewer (free version) for years to access friends and family PCs for help and have never had issues with it. You have full control of the PC, or you can just observe, there's a chat functionality, lots of other features. The other PC gets a pop up that TeamViewer is connected.

other options, just depends on how skilled you are and what level of detailed monitoring you need. Maybe some background on what you are trying to accomplish by monitoring?

ionutd2007

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
I apologize, I should've been more clear.

My problem is I use an app on my main computer that checks for other software running on that same pc that violates their TOS and bans users using that type of software.

The software in question happens to be OCR (character recognition) so the plan is to share my desktop with the 2nd pc in my setup, either by remote access (Team Viewer) or streaming (OBS) and have the OCR software run there.

The question was could an app running on a pc check for what's running on another computer connected to the same wireless network? And if using VPN would increase security in this case?

Thank you>