See H100iv2 Pump speed in SpeedFan?

Winderfish98

Honorable
Jul 1, 2015
Hello all, as the title suggests I would like to be able to see my H100iv2 Pump speed with the SpeedFan program. I can control the pump speed with SpeedFan, but can not read its rpm. To clarify I do not have the H100i set up as Corsair recommends. I have the pump its self on my motherboards water pump header, and the rad fans on my cpu and cpu_opt headers. I have it set up this way so i can control noise levels better. Also, I hate corsair link, so there's another reason.

Anyway, the pump doesn't seem to report its rpm like a normal fan or pump should. Ive only found 2 programs that can read the pump rpm, the first being corsair link, and the second being Asus Fan Xpert 3. I know the H100iv2 is funky when it comes to any program other than link messing with it, so I doubt there's a fix for this, but through the collective power of forums, maybe somebody knows something. Thanks in advance for any replies.

My PC Specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero.
CPU: i7 7700k.
Cooler: H100iv2.
GPU: GTX 1080.
Case: FD Define S.

If any other info is needed please ask.

Solution
Bottom line seems to be you have no confidence in any readings from Corsair Link, so you are best to ignore them completely. In fact, you might consider just un-installing it and letting all control of your fans be done by the mobo headers' automatic systems.

If you do that, configure as follows:
1. Set the W_PUMP header to DC mode and set it to run full speed constantly. IF there is no such setting for full speed or max performance on that header, set it to PWM Mode. This will supply a constant 12 VDC to the pump no matter what it tries to do for control of pump speed with the PWM signal. Thus the pump WILL run full speed all the time.
2. Keep your two radiator fans on the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers. IF they are 4-pin fans, set the...

Winderfish98

Honorable
Jul 1, 2015
Thats just it, it shows every other component in my system correctly except the pump RPM. Thats what made me think its more of an issue with the way the h100i reports info. Im 90% sure it can only report its speed through the USB. I was just hoping somebody found a work around. lol.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think the cable from the pump unit to the mobo header (you are using the W_PUMP header) has three wires and ends in a standard 3-pin (3 holes) female connector. Is that right? If it really does have all three wires, then it is able to send its pump speed to the W_PUMP header. You can verify that in BIOS Setup: look where that header is configured, and see what it tells you the speed of the pump is.

Now, IF the BIOS Setup screen does show you a speed, then your problem is with Speedfan. Could be two issues. One might be, does Speedfan even know that it should look for a fan header called W_PUMP and report its info? And the other is, YOU should be looking for the pump's speed on that header, not somewhere else.

I note also that the W_PUMP header needs to be set to either DC Mode or PWM Mode. If this is a 3-pin fan connection, normally it needs to be set to DC Mode. BUT that also means that the header can change the pump speed according to its normal automatic system. However, you should check with Corsair about an important point. Some such systems intend that the pump should always receive the full 12 VDC and run at full speed, and they leave all control of CPU cooling to the speed of the FANS on the radiator. Others actually do have both the pump's and the fans' speeds manipulated. IF Corsair advises that this pump should always run full speed, I suggest you set that header to PWM Mode. In that mode, the pump will always receive the required full 12 VDC supply.

Winderfish98

Honorable
Jul 1, 2015

The pump is hooked up the way you described, the bios does read the pump speed and it is set to DC mode. Now heres where things get weird. The bios reads the pump speed as 910 RPM. Corsair link reads the pump as 2000 RPM. Note that there isnt actually any change in the pump RPM that I can hear. SpeedFan does not read pump speed, but i am able to change pump speed with SpeedFan. I can lower the speed completely and it will shut off the pump and windows will make the USB discounted sound and the lights on the pump dim and then turn off.

In Corsair link I can change pump speed between "Performance mode" and "Quiet mode." Corsair says RPM on performance mode is 3000 RPM and Quiet mode being 2000 RPM. What I think is happening is in SpeedFan when I reduce pump speed, it is actually dropping voltage that is suppyed to the pump through the W_PUMP header, which is why it will shut off, and when I change pump speed in Link it is just a setting that sets the pump to a higher RPM with out changing voltage supplied from the header. In SpeedFan i have the pump set to 100% and i can still change the RPM between 2000 and 3000 in corsair link.

What isnt making any sense to me is why the RPM is reported differently in the bios and Corsair Link, and why SpeedFan can adjust the pump speed. but not see the RPM.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does Corsair Link know where you plugged the pump in? It nay have assumed that you plugged it into the CPU_FAN header as their instructions tell you.

It's odd that Speedfan does bot display the speed of the device plugged into the W_PUMP header, and yet it can change the voltage supplied on that header.

Winderfish98

Honorable
Jul 1, 2015

Link has no idea where its plugged in. It gets the pump speed from the USB that is connected to the pump. Link shows i have 6 fans in my PC in total which i only have 5. and it shows all of the fans running, which with speed fan, i have turn off A few of my fans when the desktop is at idle. Link doesn't know anything, and this is persistent across a few installs of windows i have done, its why i hate Link.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Bottom line seems to be you have no confidence in any readings from Corsair Link, so you are best to ignore them completely. In fact, you might consider just un-installing it and letting all control of your fans be done by the mobo headers' automatic systems.

If you do that, configure as follows:
1. Set the W_PUMP header to DC mode and set it to run full speed constantly. IF there is no such setting for full speed or max performance on that header, set it to PWM Mode. This will supply a constant 12 VDC to the pump no matter what it tries to do for control of pump speed with the PWM signal. Thus the pump WILL run full speed all the time.
2. Keep your two radiator fans on the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers. IF they are 4-pin fans, set the headers to use PWM Mode; if they are 3-pin models, set to use DC Mode. Set both headers to use the automatic (often called "Standard") profile to let the mobo do all its control of CPU temperature by changing the speeds of these two fans. IF there is a choice in either of these headers' configuration settings to specify which temperature sensor it uses, ensure that these two are set to use the CPU chip's internal temp sensor.
3. For all case ventilation fans, set their headers to use Standard profile. Set either PWM Mode for 4-pin fans, or DC Mode for 3-pin fans. Ensure the temperature sensor used for these headers (IF you have a choice) is one on the motherboard, and not the one inside the CPU chip.

This will give you the control you need for your cooling system, even if the mobo W_PUMP header cannot display for you the speed of pump. Maybe then the Speedfan readings will make more sense.

Solution

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
The fan speed reported on the fan header is about 1/2 the actual pump speed. This is well known and it has to do with the difference in how RPMs are reported from the pump vs. from a fan.

The readings from Corsair Link for the Corsair products (such as your cooler) are accurate. It's reported from the pump via the USB interface.

The fan header that the pump is connected to MUST be set to 12V/full speed. It needs the full 12V at all times to operate properly. Neglecting to do this will not only cause the pump to not operate properly but may also lead to premature failure.

The best control variable for the radiator fans is not the CPU Temperature but the coolant temperature. Attaching the fans to the cooler will allow you to do this.

For more info, see this FAQ over on the Corsair forum: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174442.