See visually which files and directories are being used also file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I am just curious to see which files and directories are being used at any given time or over a period of time.

Also I really want to know what the average size of files on my hard drive is and average size being used at any time so I can better understand benchmark results and how they relate to actual usage.

What will getting an average file size do for you at all? You'll have 4gig game files and 1k .dll files, so you say you have a 2 gig file size there, then what? It's a useless thing to know and does not affect anything. If you want to clear up drive space you want to find your largest files, not an average.

You can check on the sysinterlanls utilites, they have some that will monitor what files are in ue, what threads are running, etc.. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021

For file size, WinDirStat is a good program to use.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Aloha
I never said I was looking to clear up drive space.
If i was trying to do that i know the best program already is tree size from jam software.

This is about benchmarking and performance, I am trying to understand which numbers matter when benchmarking.

AND
i don't play any games.

the windows systernals site is quite an overload of info, could you possibly tell me which tools you had in mind?

also some non microsoft tools would be nice, with GUI and stuff like that.

so can anyone else answer the question?

You want the tools from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533 to monitor what is running. File size will not affect any performace, except copy and move operations, but then you are benchmarking large vs small file transfer and not system speed. Like I said, you will not get anything from knowing what your average file size is, it's like wanting to know the average size if a peice of wood in your house. I was using a game file as an example of size not that it matters in either case. PC performace does not have anything to do with how big the files on the drive are. They just sit there till you use them.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Please explain to me why these benchmark results are different based on file sizes
512 bytes .029 mb/s
4kb .231
64kb 3.042
1mb 32.558

?????
if anybody wants to calculate that s 112 times difference between top and bottom number.

if the wood in my house was 112 thinner is some areas then others
i would like to know about it!!

why don't people just answer the question here on tom's hardware????

thank you hawkeye22

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
sorry
but hang 9 you must know that when you answer my question like that you prevent other people from posting the answers I am looking for, because they see you already "answered" my question or they see the topic being made fun of.

I'm confused about the benchmark you posted, is that the amount to copy the files? Of course a 512 byte file will take less time to copy than a 1 mb file. That's like asking why driving 1 mile takes less time than 100 miles.

It also takes longer to copy many small files than it does to copy one large file of the same size.

But the whole point of my posts is that knowing what size your files are is useless. What are you going to do about it? Just delete random files if you don't like their size? Just because the files are sitting there being all different sizes does not do a single thing for performace. The file is that size because it has to be. Just like your house will be standing the same way if you find that the support beams are 6 times thicker than your window frames or if you did not know or care. Would you cut down the support beams because you think they are too thick and add too much weight? No, so are you going to start deleting large files because they take longer to copy during a banchmark than a smaller file?

The only time file a user should be concered with file size is if they are looking to clear useless large files to free up space, or if some file or directory is abnormally large as that could mean a software issue or a virus.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Top 5 Most Frequent Drive Accesses by Type and Percentage:
-8K Read (7.60%)
-8K Write (56.35%)
-1K Write (6.10%)
-16 Write (5.79%)

-64K Read (2.49%)

Top 5 account for: 78.33% of total drive access over test period

Largest access size in top 50: 256K Read (0.44% of total)

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
thanks for your help or lack of it hang-the-9
if you care to read you will understated why I wanted this info.
WHY EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW THIS INFO
not for deleting files
who ever thinks that this info is for deleting files must have very limited intelligence, or creativity
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/buyers-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

First, I never said this was for deleting files, I said that about 5 times, you seem to have trouble reading things.

Second, if you know this, what are you going to do about it? What I said is that knowing this info is useless aside from just knowing how the hard-drive works. So you know that the drive access 8k files the most. What are you going to do about it? The article you linked just complains that SSD drives do not list the most commonly used files when they list their speeds, it does not say a word about how to optimize the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.