I'm prepared to purchase a 4K graphic card for my old PC

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'name'| uniq
model name : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

Motherboard
$ sudo dmidecode -s baseboard-product-name
PRIME X570-P

PRIME X570-P
https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards...70-p/techspec/

Now the graphic comes from AMD CPU but not stable. I don't game. Occasionally I'll do simple graphic editing, such as scanning old photos on mobile phone as well as treating yellowish photos.

Display - Dell 4K 32"

I have no preset budget but don't expect purchasing a too expensive product. Please advise. Thanks

Regards

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I'm prepared to purchase a 4K graphic card for my old PC

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'name'| uniq
model name : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

Motherboard
$ sudo dmidecode -s baseboard-product-name
PRIME X570-P

PRIME X570-P
https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards...70-p/techspec/

Now the graphic comes from AMD CPU but not stable. I don't game. Occasionally I'll do simple graphic editing, such as scanning old photos on mobile phone as well as treating yellowish photos.

Display - Dell 4K 32"

I have no preset budget but don't expect purchasing a too expensive product. Please advise. Thanks

Regards
Since you are running Linux, I would recommend an NVIDIA card. Maybe a 1050.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I ran both Linux and Windows on PC connected to ONE Dell 4K 32" display, Linux for daily working and Windows for reference.

I found follow 2 display cards and their price is not expensive

1)
NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card

NVIDIA T400︱T400 4GB
https://www.leadtek.com/eng/products/workstation_graphics(2)/nvidia_t400︱t400_4gb_(40922)/detail

2)
NVIDIA TITAN RTX NVLink HB Bridge 3-Slot

NVIDIA TITAN RTX

Where can I find they support 4K resolution?

Can
MSI GeForce GTX 1630 AERO ITX 4GB GDDR6 OC
work for me

Thanks

Regards

Last edited:
Pretty much you go to nvidia site and dig around and find the specs sheets this for example.
https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...a-T400-datasheet-us-nvidia-1670004-r5-web.pdf

What you generally find is most fairly modern cards can run well over 4k and most cases can run multiple monitors at 4k at the same time. These numbers though are deceptive. If this was true a cheap video card could get 8k at 120fps running cyberpunk

But these number do represent fairly accurate resolutions and rates for simpler content that is not using the processing part of the gpu.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I ran both Linux and Windows on PC connected to ONE Dell 4K 32" display, Linux for daily working and Windows for reference.

I found follow 2 display cards and their price is not expensive

1)
NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card

NVIDIA T400︱T400 4GB
https://www.leadtek.com/eng/products/workstation_graphics(2)/nvidia_t400︱t400_4gb_(40922)/detail

2)

NVIDIA TITAN RTX

Where can I find they support 4K resolution?

Can
MSI GeForce GTX 1630 AERO ITX 4GB GDDR6 OC
work for me

Thanks

Regards
Your number 2 is just the hardware to connect two graphics cards.
A T400 should be OK if your monitor has display port interface.
A 1630 has both an HDMI 2.0 (4K @ 60Hz) and displayport 1.4a It is a little more flexible than the T440.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Pretty much you go to nvidia site and dig around and find the specs sheets this for example.
https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...a-T400-datasheet-us-nvidia-1670004-r5-web.pdf

What you generally find is most fairly modern cards can run well over 4k and most cases can run multiple monitors at 4k at the same time. These numbers though are deceptive. If this was true a cheap video card could get 8k at 120fps running cyberpunk

But these number do represent fairly accurate resolutions and rates for simpler content that is not using the processing part of the gpu.
Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I found the resolution on that link
Display Connectiors
3 x mDP 1.4 with latching mechanism

Max Sinultaneous Display
3 x 3840 x 2160 @ 120Hz
3 x 5120 x 2880 # 60Hz

Sorry I can't attached the screenshot here

I suppose this card is for Desktop not Laptop

Display Connectors
3 x mDP 1.4 with latching mechanism

Thanks

Edit
===

Also I can consider NVIDIA TITAN RTX NVLink HB Bridge 3-Slot
If this card is more versatile
The price is more less the same.

Regards

Last edited:

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Your number 2 is just the hardware to connect two graphics cards.
A T400 should be OK if your monitor has display port interface.
A 1630 has both an HDMI 2.0 (4K @ 60Hz) and displayport 1.4a It is a little more flexible than the T440.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I'll pick NVIDIA T400︱T400 4GB

Dell 4K 32" display has DP ports

Regards

Edit
===
Also I can consider;
2)

If this card is more versatile
The price is almost the same.

Last edited:
I did not notice it is uses mDP and I don't know what if any restrictions that implies. It likely is just getting the proper cables.

Not sure what you mean desktop vs laptop. I don't know of any laptop you can replace the video card in. I guess there are ways to run a external GPU but i have never looked into what that involves.

This is the first time I have even seen that card but it seems to be fine for the application you are talking about. It appears to be very new and supports all the newer things like say directx 12

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. I'll purchase a T400 card.

Regards

Edit:

I have drives on this PC running Linux and Windows separately. So on the Window drive I install Windows driver?

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006

kanewolf

Titan
Download drivers

1)
NVIDIA T400 Graphics Driver 27.21.14.6259 for Windows 10 May 2019 Update
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/G...-14-6259-for-Windows-10-May-2019-Update.shtml

2)
Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

Are they correct?
I would ONLY download fron NVIDIA website.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for your advice.

Just found another problem

NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card has been stopped in production. The retailer suggests m= to purchase.
NVIDIA Quadro T1000 CUDA-896 8GB GDDR6 Card

Its price is more than double of NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card. Since this is an old PC. Can your suggest another model?

Thanks

Regards

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your advice.

Just found another problem

NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card has been stopped in production. The retailer suggests m= to purchase.
NVIDIA Quadro T1000 CUDA-896 8GB GDDR6 Card

Its price is more than double of NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Card. Since this is an old PC. Can your suggest another model?

Thanks

Regards
Instead of playing "Bring me a rock" .... Tell us what country and budget plus what are the acceptable retailers.

Reactions: helper800

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hong Kong

NVIDIA Quadro T400 CUDA-384 4GB GDDR6 Cardz: about USD166
NVIDIA Quadro T1000 CUDA-896 4GB GDDR6 Card: about USD353

I can pay for NVIDIA Quadro T1000 CUDA-896 4GB GDDR6 Card. But I'm considering this old PC shall retire in Feb 2023. I have been planning building a new Ryzen 9 7900X/7950X PC sometimes but now its motherboard is quite expensive. So I'm now waiting its price to drop.

Regards

If I was you unless my current machine was unusable I would not spend any money at all if I planned to replace it in a couple months. In effect it is a discount on your new system. Maybe you don't need a video card on the new system.

I have not stayed on top of embedded graphics performance. Maybe the new ryzen chips embedded video is better than the one you have. I know people say that intel has been improving their a lot compared to older releases.

Most stuff you see has comparisons for gaming. Not sure if that even applies much in your case.

Have you considered going with a intel system using DDR4. In general this will save you quite a bit compared to using either intel or amd on DDR5. Again I am not sure how you evaluate embedded video for non gaming use. I know I use a system with the embedded graphics at 4k on my system for security cameras without any issue. I only went with a seperate video card solution because the security software added support for compression in the video card which cut my cpu usage, it doesn't look any different.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for your advice.

Why I'm willing to inject money on this PC? I shall use it as a standby PC.

I have been planning building a new PC several months

AMD Ryzen 9 7900x/7950x CPU
ASUS Motherboard - model not decided yet. I don't need WiFi
RAM - 64G DDR5
4K Graphic Card -maker and model not selected yet, I don't game
Drives for running Linux and Windows - 2TB NVMe Gen 4x4 pcie SSDs
Drives for storage without OS - 4TB SATA3 SSD

At present the mobo to match AMD 7000x series CPU is expensive. Besides I don't have spare time. That are the reasons not starting

Thanks for your advice.

Why I'm willing to inject money on this PC? I shall use it as a standby PC.

I have been planning building a new PC several months

AMD Ryzen 9 7900x/7950x CPU
ASUS Motherboard - model not decided yet. I don't need WiFi
RAM - 64G DDR5
4K Graphic Card -maker and model not selected yet, I don't game
Drives for running Linux and Windows - 2TB NVMe Gen 4x4 pcie SSDs
Drives for storage without OS - 4TB SATA3 SSD

At present the mobo to match AMD 7000x series CPU is expensive. Besides I don't have spare time. That are the reasons not starting
With your use case I would go with an Nvidia card something like a 1050-1070, or 1650-1660, or 2060, or a 3050 are all viable options that will be straight forward and easy to setup with standard Nvidia drivers with more than enough performance for anything but gaming at 4k.