Build Advice Seeking a small server/Mini-PC for multiple VMs with RAID multiple drive support (UK)

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
I need a new system to run multiple virtual machines at the same time using Proxmox This will include:

- Up to 4 instances of Windows
- FreePBX
- Docker
- Home Assistant
- List could expand in the future

I am currently using an Asus PN51 Mini PC which came with the AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, and I added 64GB of RAM. This seems very powerful and throws everything I throw at it, but I now need a system that can support multiple drives for RAID redundancy. This Asus Mini PC can only support 1 NVMe and 1 SATA drive.

I've looked at server towers from reputable refurbishing websites, and searched for mini PCs and servers on eBay filtering UK Buy It Now posts, but I'm still lost as to something suitable with enough processing power to handle those multiple VMs which also has at least 2 drives that I can use with RAID.

I am based in the UK.

Thank you :)

Ralston18

Titan
Is RAID a real requirement?

Something that specifically requires a RAID configuration in the working environment.

What is the expectation and/or advantages of using RAID? What RAID configuration?

You mentioned redundancy - add more information about what is required.

This thread may be more suited to the Storage Category and may be moved accordingly.

TBD.

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
Is RAID a real requirement?

Something that specifically requires a RAID configuration in the working environment.

What is the expectation and/or advantages of using RAID? What RAID configuration?

You mentioned redundancy - add more information about what is required.

This thread may be more suited to the Storage Category and may be moved accordingly.

TBD.

Hard to say really, I would just like a backup in case of a disk failure, especially with the FreePBX. Peace of mind I guess. I know RAID isn't a "proper backup" but for a disk failure it seems the easiest way to back things up?

I would probably use RAID 1, as a complete mirror and only requiring 2 drives.

Your hardware requirements bump up against the concept of "Mini PC".

For the 'RAID'....what type RAID array? 0, 1, other? And why?

The Mini PC works well for me where I can shove it in a corner and it chugs along being power efficient, coping with the stuff I throw at it... the only thing I didn't consider when I got it was that I might want disk redundancy in the future. It would likely 1 be simply for the disk failure peace of mind.

USAFRet

Titan
The Mini PC works well for me where I can shove it in a corner and it chugs along being power efficient, coping with the stuff I throw at it... the only thing I didn't consider when I got it was that I might want disk redundancy in the future. It would likely 1 be simply for the disk failure peace of mind.
Right.

But when you start talking about multiple drives and LOTS of RAM....the Mini PC idea gets in the way.

And the RAID?
For you concept of 'redundancy', RAID 1.
But that is only for the rare instance of physical drive death. Any RAID 1 also needs a real backup situation. And if you can suffer through the ignominy of an hour downtime, backup Images are a better solution.

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
Right.

But when you start talking about multiple drives and LOTS of RAM....the Mini PC idea gets in the way.

And the RAID?
For you concept of 'redundancy', RAID 1.
But that is only for the rare instance of physical drive death. Any RAID 1 also needs a real backup situation. And if you can suffer through the ignominy of an hour downtime, backup Images are a better solution.

I suppose with the multiple drives I would be looking more towards a small server tower. A 4 drive NAS style box would be okay, and I'd buy a used Synology or something if I could erase the OS and stick Proxmox on it, but Googling suggests that wouldn't be possible

Of course a multi-drive system would also give me more storage space in the future too

Indeed it would be backup for that, maybe simply backing up to another system entirely without thinking about RAID or multi-drive systems would be better and I'm overthinking this? Equally my Googling suggests Proxmox doesn't have a good offsite backup solution, unlike cPanel for websites which can take a backup at 4am every night and shove it on an FTP server hosted elsewhere?

USAFRet

Titan
I suppose with the multiple drives I would be looking more towards a small server tower. A 4 drive NAS style box would be okay, and I'd buy a used Synology or something if I could erase the OS and stick Proxmox on it, but Googling suggests that wouldn't be possible
Not sure that would not be possible.

I have a QNAP, and like it with the included QOS.
But I can't visualizehow installing your own (Promox) would be an issue. I could be wrong, though.

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
Not sure that would not be possible.

I have a QNAP, and like it with the included QOS.
But I can't visualizehow installing your own (Promox) would be an issue. I could be wrong, though.
I'm not sure how a NAS style system would cope processor wise with multiple Virtual Machines though as those devices aren't designed for that

I did look at the TrueNAS servers which would likely be more capable but they're out of my price range :p

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not sure how a NAS style system would cope processor wise with multiple Virtual Machines though as those devices aren't designed for that

I did look at the TrueNAS servers which would likely be more capable but they're out of my price range :p
I have run a VM from my QNAP, and it was OK. This, with 16GB total RAM.

Not sure how it would do with multiples. And I probably don't want to try...;)

So, a regular PC thing for your use.
Just not a 'mini PC'.

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
I have run a VM from my QNAP, and it was OK. This, with 16GB total RAM.

Not sure how it would do with multiples. And I probably don't want to try...;)

So, a regular PC thing for your use.
Just not a 'mini PC'.
Indeed so, I guess now the question is what kind of system specs (mainly processor) I would be looking for that would be capable of multiple systems. I find the different kinds of processors quite overwhelming and ideally I would purchase a used system from eBay instead of building a new one, at least for now :O

In the future maybe a Mini ITX case would be a nice middle ground between multiple drives and a small form factor but I don't have the budget for that quite yet

USAFRet

Titan
Indeed so, I guess now the question is what kind of system specs (mainly processor) I would be looking for that would be capable of multiple systems. I find the different kinds of processors quite overwhelming and ideally I would purchase a used system from eBay instead of building a new one, at least for now :O

In the future maybe a Mini ITX case would be a nice middle ground between multiple drives and a small form factor but I don't have the budget for that quite yet
Any current generation (or last gen) top level CPU from Intel or AMD.
You could go into navel gazing about single digit percentage differences, but really, it would have no real world impact.

And LOTS of RAM.
Depending on what these VMs will be doing, min 8GB per VM, possibly 16GB.
Of course, leaving sufficient for the host OS.

Lewis6209

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
Any current generation (or last gen) top level CPU from Intel or AMD.
You could go into navel gazing about single digit percentage differences, but really, it would have no real world impact.

And LOTS of RAM.
Depending on what these VMs will be doing, min 8GB per VM, possibly 16GB.
Of course, leaving sufficient for the host OS.
Thanks, judging by the list of Intel processors on Wikipedia, it looks like any of the 12th gen i5 series would be sufficient, now it's just finding the right system or one that is compatible with an upgrade of the same socket!

RAM I'm not too worried about as it is one of the most easy things to upgrade. The 64GB in the Mini PC has served me well enough so far! :D

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, judging by the list of Intel processors on Wikipedia, it looks like any of the 12th gen i5 series would be sufficient, now it's just finding the right system or one that is compatible with an upgrade of the same socket!

RAM I'm not too worried about as it is one of the most easy things to upgrade. The 64GB in the Mini PC has served me well enough so far! :D
I would look to the i7 variant vs i5, but it would probably work.

Again, it depends a lot on what these VMs will be doing.

Aug 21, 2023
I have the same requirements (US Based), bought the ultimate Minipc setup but I can not see in the bios that the machine is compatible with RAID. Looking for 4TB, RAID1, LOTS of memory. Will use as a small office server and want a small footprint for the machine that will sit on a small shelf.

Want to use RAID1 if one of the drives goes and will have an immediate backup for small office production environment.

Current Setup:
Asus Minipc PN64-E1
x2 WD 4TB nvme M.2
x2 Crucial 48GB = 96GB DDR5 SODIMM

I put it all together, bios recognizes x2 4000GB & 96GB Ram, but no way to see a RAID option in the bios!

Any help will be MUCH appreciated!!

TRENDING THREADS