Seeking advice — Best way to test a new GPU?

doesnotcompute

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello and thanks for reading.

I feel a little foolish. I was shopping for a new gaming PC build and decided to upgrade from a GTX 1080 to 1080ti at the last minute, did some quick research and ordered the Zotac 1080ti AMP Extreme Core edition via Amazon.

From what I can tell, nothing wrong with the card (generally, not my actual one, which has yet to be tested), but I only realized after I received it yesterday that the Core edition is actually a bit worse than the regular Extreme edition. Adding a word typically means something is better than the version without the added word, so confusing and perhaps a bit deceptive on Zotac's part, but it's my own fault.

Now, both cards are pretty top of the class and very close to each other (about 2% difference) in terms of their promised base and boost clocks. But the general consensus is that the Extreme-only cards (again, 2% higher clocks than the "Core") represent the best chips of Zotac's stock while chips that don't quite manage Extreme-only performance levels become "Extreme Core."

If boosting, therefore, take the cards as high as they'll go within temperature parameters, this means that the Extreme-only chips may have a fair amount of headroom if you happen to win the chip lottery, whereas Extreme Core chips will almost certainly have very little (or they'd be Extreme-only chips).

And there's no price difference right now between the Extreme and Extreme Core cards.

Bottom line [TL;DR]: I'm not planning to OC in any way beyond the factory OC and boost. I want to test my card to see if it's functioning well at this level during the 30-day Amazon return period. If it is, I'll keep it as a solid, if not absolute top-performing card. But if it runs too hot, artifacts, has coil whine or runs too loud, I'll return it for the Extreme-only version or something else.

Any advice on the best way to test the card and monitor its performance (MSI Afterburner perhaps or something else?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can run the heaven, valley, or superposition benchmarks. These are all free but may lack some features unless you pay. Another option is to run something like Folding@Home on the GPU. These will put a heavy load on the GPU. You might also consider getting 3D mark to run some of their "laptop" and "mobile" tests. Those tests frequently run at 3-400FPS. It's not a heavy load but the ultra high frame rate has some weird effects on the card. My GPU, a 1070, produces coil whine whenever the frame rate is over 250FPS. Running any of these tests or programs should shake out any issues after a few runs. But you should still have a manufacturer 1 year warranty if something does go wrong.

doesnotcompute

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

This is perfect and should definitely help me find the limits of my new card. Much appreciated!